first generation Predator sound problems

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
5150too

first generation Predator sound problems

Post by 5150too » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:03 pm

I have a first generation predator and there appears to be problems with the pickups,switch,pots, or caps. It was stored in a climate controlled environment about 20 years, then I cleaned it up and started playing it. I did have to tighten the truss rod about 1/8 of a turn to make the action low and not buzz. It has an unusually harsh sound more so on some tones than others, It is consistent and not intermittent. At first I thought the strings were buzzing on a fret, I carefully checked that out and that isn't the problem. I was hoping someone here with the experience would recognize the problem, I am suspecting the caps on the pots.

JamesPaul

Re: first generation Predator sound problems

Post by JamesPaul » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:54 pm

I have not experienced this before.

Check that all wires, caps, etc. on the pickguard and output jack are firmly soldered.

Use your meter and verify that pot cases, bridge, shielding, etc. are all connected to ground on the output jack.

Spray the pots, switch, and a plug for the output jack with some Deoxit and work them. That should get rid of any dirt, corrosion, etc.

What type of caps are in it? Ceramic disc? Orange drops? I have never had a cap go bad in a guitar, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Does this occur for all pickups? If at some point the temperature in storage went high (power failure?), it could have melted the wax potting in a pickup(s). Now a pickup is microphonic. I have seen this happen with guitars left in hot cars.

That is all I can think of for now. A Predator guru may have more suggestions. I only own 1 Peavey guitar, a Wolfgang which I never get to see, but that is another story.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.