T-60 Pull Tone Coil Split Mod Wiring

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
ztaber

T-60 Pull Tone Coil Split Mod Wiring

Post by ztaber » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:31 pm

I recently purchased a t-60 blade pickup so I can swap it in for the aftermarket bridge pickup that was in my 1982(?) natural t-60. While I had all of the pickguard screws out, I figured that would be a good opportunity to play with the wiring a bit to get some more tonal control out of the guitar.

I want to swap out the tone pots with new pots that also have a push pull switch . Plan is for the push pull switch to operate the coil split and the potentiometer to work as a normal tone control so I can get both single coils with the highs rolled off or bright humbuckers if I'd like. Am I correct in thinking the push pull switch should be single pole single throw and that the red wire of the pickups should be wired to it, with the other side of the switch wired to ground?

I also had some questions about values- the original potentiometer is a 250k S taper, but Dirk Wacker recommends a 500k audio taper pot for the tone control in his article on the T-60 tone circuit. Has anyone tried this? Also reading his article on warmth controls has me wondering if anyone has tried swapping out capacitors for the tone control. I'll probably just do one mod at a time and see how I like things with the blade pickup and the normal tone control, but give me a shout if you've experimented with this.