Peavey Patriot

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
jreising326

Peavey Patriot

Post by jreising326 » Thu May 20, 2021 11:49 pm

I think I have Peavey Guitar addiction syndrome. I bought a cheap 94 Predator in February and made a project out of it and love it. Then I bought an almost new Firenza AX 2 weeks ago and haven't had much time to play with it. Then out of the blue on Craigslist someone listed a Peavey Patriot with original hardcase and the guitar is nearly new. It was a block and a half away from my house to boot. I scored it for $100 today with case and original trem bar. I went there thinking I'd repaint it for my son and make another project out of it but it's in too good condition to mess with. His birthday is Sunday.

I acquired all these guitars for less than $400 total. My wife is starting to look at me funny though.... :)

Now the foam in the case is completely broken down and needs to be cleaned up and replaced, but this 35 year old guitar is in excellent condition. This picture kind of stinks but the quality level on this guitar and the neck finish feels more like the Firenza than the Predator, even though it was an entry level guitar in the early/mid 80's. It appears to be a very well made guitar.

jreising326

Re: Peavey Patriot

Post by jreising326 » Fri May 21, 2021 12:25 am

For some reason Firefox won't let me post photo's. Here's another attempt.

bondedbybrick

Post by bondedbybrick » Tue May 25, 2021 12:43 pm

Yeah, Peavey guitars and basses are certainly undervalued. Some models hold their values well and even increase over time. I wouldn't buy Peavey products as an investment; I buy them to play!!

Try reducing the size of the image you're trying to attach. I'm not sure what the size limit is but try less than 500KB......
Derek

1991 Blue Falcon Custom

jreising326

Post by jreising326 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:13 pm

OK, reduced down to 643k, hopefully it posts!
Attachments
patriot.jpg
patriot.jpg (617.34 KiB) Viewed 3493 times

jreising326

Post by jreising326 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:55 pm

Thanks for the tip, shrinking the photo was the trick! Here's a photo of the guitar today after I cleaned it up, put a new Knob and Strings on it, and new foam in the case.

I gave the guitar to my 12 year old son for his birthday on Sunday. I let him pick out those strings, and I really like how it looks.

Then again I remember the 80's fondly, including the Day Glow/Pastel colors that were common then. This guitar literally says "1986" by just looking at it!
Attachments
patriot2.jpg
patriot2.jpg (384.2 KiB) Viewed 3488 times

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Tue May 25, 2021 8:10 pm

Definitely screams '80s! Those are cool looking strings too.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

dryley

Post by dryley » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:23 am

Nice! You got a great deal on that one!

dak

Post by dak » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:30 am

Funky! Myself I still got a Japanese Strat clone ("Maya" I think) from my wild youth which has comparatively flamboyant colors (I think like the original had). But this one reminds me of the "Titano Tiger" accordion design that came with built-in microphone for amplified rock/pop music but never really caught on. The instruments themselves are nowadays sought after and are said to actually fit their purpose pretty well.

I guess the color grew out of fashion pretty fast...

jreising326

Post by jreising326 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:59 pm

Thanks!

The guitar was really dirty, in part because the foam in the hard case disintegrated years ago and accumulated on the fret board and all over the guitar surface. I fortunately already had rubbing compound, polish, wax and buffing wheels from when I restored the Predator I bought a few months earlier. This guitar also had stickers on it at one time, probably for years as the finish was faded/discolored. Well after a 30 minute buff job and coat of wax, it looked almost new, and still does!

So just FYI with a bit of elbow grease you can really make an old guitar look new again. I wish I took a good photo before I cleaned it up.