First Peavey predator guitar pickup resistance/ohms for test

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
5150too

First Peavey predator guitar pickup resistance/ohms for test

Post by 5150too » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:24 am

I have one of the first generation Peavey predator guitars, I believe these were made 1985 to 1988. It has 2 double humbucker pickups, a kahler flyer and a locking nut from the factory.. I am trying to find what the resistance/ohms for testing purposes. I have my predator torn down for a repair/repaint. Before I took it apart one switch setting was totally dead with no sound, the next setting had decent sound and the third switch setting sounded good. I just wanted to check it out while it was apart. I got the factory schematic from Peavey, and it shows the wiring and the pot specs, but nothing on the humbuckers resistance. The do have 3 wires, a black, red and white. The red is fatory clipped at the pickup, the black shows as a ground, and the white on both pickups goes to the 3 position switch. I might be interested in some replacement pickups if mine are screwed up.

twangboy

Re: First Peavey predator guitar pickup resistance/ohms for test

Post by twangboy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:41 pm

if you have a meter, you can measure that yourself. The red wire is the coil rolloff tap.
probably not used in that model so clipped at the pickup.
2- 87' Falcons, 90 Falcon Standard, 91 Falcon Custom,94 Axcelerator, 95 Firenza, Patriot, 83 Impact 2, 84 Horizon 2, Prowler, Wiggy, 2 X Classic 20,Classic 30 II, VK20MH(FieldKing!), 112SX cab, Transtube Pro 100 EFX, Transtube 258EFX

5150too

Post by 5150too » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:50 am

Thanks for the reply. I have a fluke model 83 meter so measuring it isn't a problem. In fact just using logic I should be able to determine if one is bad. I was looking for a resistance spec so I could test if one or both were in spec. I am thinking one is good and one is bad, but I am thinking the 3 position switch is a possibility too. Bottom line is I want to see if one or both are in spec. That is especially important if I have to replace one. Anyway if anyone knows the ohm spec let me know, the info would be much appreciated. Meanwhile if anyone has a known good original let me know. I hate to think about replacing them with Chinese parts, that isn't my first option.

5150too

Post by 5150too » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:25 am

I found the problem turned out to be the 3 position switch. It had jammed inside because a plastic part has changed shape over the years. The strange thing is I was able to make the switch work with sand paper and shortening a spring inside. It took way more time than I would like to admit. A new switch is on the list of needed parts, meanwhile the old wood grain Predator plays again, and it sounds so sweet.