This mantis came into my possession, wanna know more?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
WillowMouse

This mantis came into my possession, wanna know more?

Post by WillowMouse » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Just inherited this Mantis. apparently my great uncle designed the packaging for it a while ago and it was the first one made, what can y'all tell me about it?

Chris Goodwin

Re: This mantis came into my possession, wanna know more?

Post by Chris Goodwin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:09 am

To BASS or Not to BASS is the question.

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:27 pm

U B WillowMouse Or WillowMouse B Ur Daughter :?: :!: :?: :!: :?:

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:26 pm

Wow! That guitar has 23 (twenty three) frets. I've never seen that guitar before, or a guitar with 23 frets. It is literally a one-off. That is some cool Peavey history there, and I'm pretty sure those guitars are quite rare. Do you have the original case as well ?

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:52 pm

tele twister wrote:Wow! That guitar has 23 (twenty three) frets. I've never seen that guitar before, or a guitar with 23 frets. It is literally a one-off. That is some cool Peavey history there, and I'm pretty sure those guitars are quite rare. Do you have the original case as well ?
That's not true. While that guitar is rare and cool, there were quite a few 80's model Peavey guitars that had 23 frets.
PeaveyPredatorKahler.jpg
PeaveyPredatorKahler.jpg (133.58 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
Others that I can think of include the Horizon I, Mystic, Razor, and I believe even the T-25.

WillowMouse, sorry you lost your uncle, he must've been cool. That is a very hip guitar.

While that guitar isn't a one-off, it's definitely rare, and I don't think I've seen that color before. It might not be worth as much as a vintage Fender or Gibson YET... But values on older USA made Peavey guitars are steadily rising. Play it if you can. And/or save it for the future...

BTW, Willow, if that's you in the pic, please don't mind us. We don't get too many ladies here... We're mostly just a bunch of gearheads and gee-tards! :oops:

You come back and see us now, ya' hear?!

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:47 pm

GennyFan wrote:
tele twister wrote:Wow! That guitar has 23 (twenty three) frets. I've never seen that guitar before, or a guitar with 23 frets. It is literally a one-off. That is some cool Peavey history there, and I'm pretty sure those guitars are quite rare. Do you have the original case as well ?
That's not true. While that guitar is rare and cool, there were quite a few 80's model Peavey guitars that had 23 frets.
But, but, Gen, it is true, I have never ever seen a guitar with 23 frets. I said "literally a one-off" meaning literally one off from 22 or 24. These are the truths. That's all.

BTW, cool guitar WillowMouse!

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:54 pm

I agree, a very cool guitar! What a story behind it!!!

Hang on to it no matter what.

Find a VTM and and give it a go through the VTM.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:47 pm

tele twister wrote:I said "literally a one-off" meaning literally one off from 22 or 24. These are the truths. That's all.
Yuk yuk... I get it, very punny. :wink:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/one-off
Full Definition of ONE-OFF

: limited to a single time, occasion, or instance : one-shot <one–off gigs>
: singular, unique <a one–off design>
— one–off noun

Synonyms
alone, lone, one, one-off, singular, sole, solitary, special, sui generis, unique
There were a bunch of Peavey guitars in the 80's that had 23 frets. Not uncommon in Peavey-land. Peavey guitars already have more than their share of misinformation... Just wanted to set the record straight.

TRexF16

Post by TRexF16 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:28 pm

WillowMouse wrote:Just inherited this Mantis. apparently my great uncle designed the packaging for it a while ago and it was the first one made, what can y'all tell me about it?
Ma'am, since he has passed, may he rest in peace, are you willing to reveal your great uncle's name? Your post implies he was an employee of Peavey (or at least a contractor) and I am surprised more respondents have not remarked about this maybe being the first Mantis made. I find that very interesting and I reckon some of the moderators might be able to run this data down more with a name. You can send a private message (PM) to Chris Goodwin if you don't want to publish your great uncle's name.

BTW, as a USA made Peavey it ought to have a serial number on the back side of the headstock. Would you be willing to share that with us? Might help a lot in identifying this particular guitar.

That's a cool guitar. I read the owner's manual and it sounds like kind of fascinating electronics on how the tone pot cuts out the humbucking to single coil progressively from 7-10. Anybody tried these out and care to comment on the success of this design?

Welcome to the forum and best of luck in your quest for info.

Rex
Last edited by TRexF16 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

WillowMouse

Post by WillowMouse » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:56 pm

TRexF16 wrote:
WillowMouse wrote:Just inherited this Mantis. apparently my great uncle designed the packaging for it a while ago and it was the first one made, what can y'all tell me about it?
Ma'am, since he has passed, may he rest in peace, are you willing to reveal your great uncle's name? Your post implies he was an employee of Peavey (or at least a contractor) and I am surprised more respondents have not remarked about this maybe being the first Mantis made. I find that very interesting and I reckon some of the moderators might be able to run this data down more with a name. You can send a private message (PM) to Chris Goodwin if you don't want to publish your great uncle's name.

BTW, as a USA made Peavey it ought to have a serial number on the back side of the headstock. Would you be willing to share that with us? Might help a lot in identifying this particular guitar.

That's a cool guitar. I read the owner's manual and it sounds like kind of fascinating electronics on how the tone pot cuts out the humbucking to single coil progressively from 7-10. Anybody tried these out and care to comment on the success of this design?

Welcome to the forum and best of luck in your quest for info.

Rex
hi hi, sorry for the months late response. I actually forgot about this website for a while. I live a hectic life.
here's a pic of the back of the headstock, I see a patent and design number but no serial number.

Last bumped by WillowMouse on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:56 pm.

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:01 pm

WillowMouse seems to be poster rather than responder !

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge