Impact 2 Project

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
Howlintoe

Impact 2 Project

Post by Howlintoe » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:42 pm

Hello everyone. First time poster. I have been toying lately with the idea of getting into repearing and adding some mods to an old Impact 2 I have. I had a hell of a time trying to actually figure out what kind of guitar it was because several years ago I stripped the guitar of its original finish and decals. After several hours of research I was able to confirm that it is indeed one of the 1990's second gen Impact guitars found here:
http://peavey.com/assets/literature/man ... ct_1_2.pdf
...and here(guy has wrong year but it's this guitar):
http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-872 ... I-set-neck
I'll try to post some pics soon as I just took all the hardware off so you can see what I am working with.
This is mostly going to be a learning project for me but I still want it to turn out to be usable because I really enjoyed the feel and, for the most part, the sound of this guitar.
Basically wanted to know if anyone has any ideas or experience for adding things like new tuning pegs, pick-ups, working with mahogany, paint and finish ideas and basic repairs on the binding on the rosewood fretboard and frets.
Thanks in advance.

studiodtk5

Re: Impact 2 Project

Post by studiodtk5 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:57 pm

That is a nice guitar you have there. I have one of those as well. I think he may have meant 95 96 instead of 85 86.

If that has the original electroincs, I would be interested in knowing what the original circuit is. I contacted Peavey about sending the circuit to me. They sent every "Impact" circuit they could find, but none were that guitar. It has a tone control that goes bass roll off one direction and treble roll off in the other direction. I am curious what the original value of components were used & if they had an inductor in the circuit or not.

For tuners I like the Sperzel tuners. Good quality, made in USA, custom made to order in the finish of your choice, just call them.

For pickups on mine the previous owner changed them to Seymour Duncan Jazz & a 59. A lot of people like P90s with the mahogany. You could do a P90-humbucker size replacement (I have oneI haven't installed in a guitar yet). I put some TV Jones on a Generation that I have & love that. I have wanted to the Kinman Humbuckers.

So many choices...have fun! :D
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Howlintoe

Post by Howlintoe » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:32 pm

Unfortunately I did a rather sloppy tear down on the guitar. I actually gigged quite a bit with this thing and it took a beating over the years. So I have the pickups and electronics but they are in a state of ill-repair. Can't say I know much of anything about the electronics but if you have the specifics of what I should look for I can convey the info to you.
Do you know if the mahogany is receptive to translucent finishes? Or should I stick to a solid color? While I like the feel and sound of the mahogany it aint the prettiest wood in the world. I was hoping to do a poor mans burst but if its going to look like shit I might save it for the Predator rebuild I'm planning.

Frank N. Peavey

Post by Frank N. Peavey » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:21 pm

I've got a really clean Impact 2. Let me know if you need any pics of the wiring or whatnot.

As far as the grain and finish... Mine is a transparent red and that grain really looks good peaking out. If I had to refinish this one I would go with something that showed off the grain instead of a solid color.
Tony
ITOC #05-00013

T-63, 5 T-60s, T-20, Hydra, Mantis LT, Mystic, Odyssey, 3 Patriot tremolos, Patriot Bass, 2 Predators, 2 Raptor I, Razer, Reactor, Retro Fire, 3 Rockmasters, 2 Bandits, Backstage, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP 2

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:29 pm

yeah if you could take a pic of the wiring I would be interested in seeing how close I came to guesing the circuit.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Frank N. Peavey

Post by Frank N. Peavey » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:39 am

I'll get some pics done later today and get them to you. PM your email to me.
Tony
ITOC #05-00013

T-63, 5 T-60s, T-20, Hydra, Mantis LT, Mystic, Odyssey, 3 Patriot tremolos, Patriot Bass, 2 Predators, 2 Raptor I, Razer, Reactor, Retro Fire, 3 Rockmasters, 2 Bandits, Backstage, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP 2

maxka

Post by maxka » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:18 am

Hi, I have a beautiful 1993 Impact I. And of course they exchanged the 5-way switch for a 3-way. I want to restore it to its original electronic state. I need a wire diagram or if you can send me picture of your guitar wiring, i sincerely appreciate your help. Thanks, and yes, I love peavey guitars, especially this one in natural mahogany