USA Predator headstocks - WITH COMPARISON PHOTOS - what do w

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
heem6

Re: USA Predator headstocks - WITH COMPARISON PHOTOS - what

Post by heem6 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Very informative! Thanks for taking the time to post the info and pictures!
"Being in Aerosmith is like being at a dogfight. And both dogs bite you." Brad Whitford

TRexF16

Post by TRexF16 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:07 am

Riffs wrote:There’s at least five variations of U.S.A. Peavey Predator headstocks, see serial numbers, below! Let's discuss more details of the U.S.A. series, and view eleven larger photos! These headstock variations include logo variations, or actual locations of logo items on front/back of headstock. The headstock shape appears unchanged in my research. I've documented multiple examples of each generation by serial number indicating new generations occuring, along with rare examples :o of another one appearing amid another trend/generation. The International series which appeared later is not discussed in this post.

The word “generation” is adopted in this thread to identify different logos, or wording/location of information on various U.S.A. Predators.

The serial number location is on the back of each Predator's headstock.
For location of “Made in”, “Handcrafted in”, or "Crafted In The U.S.A." - see below.

1st Generation
Predator w/ humbuckers/Kahler bridge, and Peavey logo on back of tuners.
Small script Peavey, and script Predator/Made in U.S.A. The front of some headstocks were natural, and others in black.
The age/timing of the black HSC (case) in photos is unknown.
Earliest example of 1st Gen. found (thus far in my own research) is # 021413XX.

2nd Gen.
Predator w/ single coil pickups & black finish on headstock, generic, round tuners.
Are these original tuners from the factory, or aftermarket?
Small script Predator, and script Peavey/Handcrafted in U.S.A. by Peavey.
Earliest example of 2nd Gen. found is # 0249866XX.

3rd Gen.
Predator w/ Back of headstock logo indicating, Handcrafted in the U.S.A.
Large Script Predator and 'pointy' Peavey logo, trap. tuners.
Earliest example 3rd Gen. found is # 049649XX

4th Gen.
Predator w/ Large Block letters, single coil pickups, trap tuners.
Earliest example of 4th Gen. found is # 057187XX.

5th Gen.
Predator w/ Small Block letters, single coil pickups, trap tuners.
"Crafted In The U.S.A" appears on front of headstock.
Large block examples can be found after this introduction of small block letter-logos, indicating a possibility of serial numbers added to remaining stock of remaining large block logo necks?
Earliest Example of 5th Gen. found is # 060271XX.

My black Predator is serial # 074114XX, and was produced in 1994 according to Peavey serial number lists recopied on many websites.
Gen. 3 – Gen. 6 Predators usually benefit from a better quality set of tuners. The choice of tuner included at the factory is unfortunate-considering the Predator's street price during the time. Many examples of Predator photos on the Internet can be found by those seeking them!

PHOTOS…
Generation 1, below.
Made in U.S.A.

Gen. 2, below.
Handcrafted In The U.S.A.

Gen. 3, below.
Handcrafted In The U.S.A. (back of headstock)

Gen. 4, below.

Gen. 5, below.
Crafted in U.S.A.

I think there is at least a Generation 6:
"Crafted in the USA" on the front, no printing on the back, no Truss cover, truss adjusts with allen wrench instead of 5/16" socket.
Sorry for the poor pic, I cropped it down from the best I had. I'm not able to take a better one now.

I love the USA Predators.
Rex

wizaxed

Post by wizaxed » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:48 pm

I just picked up a 1993 Predator. It is White with a black pick guard (reminds me of Adrian Smith's Jackson guitar from the 80's). It is all stock and in showroom "mint" condition. I cannot find any blemishes except for some scratches on the pick guard. It had a slightly "tweaked" neck and jagged fret edges when I got it. I took it to the local guitar tech and he set it up, filed the fret ends, blocked the trem, put Cobalt 10-46 strings on it, fixed the neck issue and I LOVE IT! It sounds fantastic! The stock pickups sound great through my HRD 410 and my Orange Rocker 30. I have heard a lot about these guitars and now can personally attest to how nice they are. GREAT VALUE!!!!!

I also have a Peavey Classic 20 (2 actually) and have ordered a 2x12 cabinet from Mojotone and will be doing a head transplant to the 2x12 cab. I have Celestion Seventy 80's just waiting in their boxes. I am looking forward to hearing this little beast in it's new "home."
Wizaxed

Marshall JVM410H
Peavey Ultra 112
Peavey Classic 20
Peavey Classic 20 (in 2X12 Mojotone tweed cab)
Peavey 4x12 JSX cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Orange Rocker 20 Combo
Fender Mustang III
63 Silvertone Model 1482
Numerous guitars
Numerous pedals

lincolnr

Post by lincolnr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:58 am

TRexF16 wrote:
Riffs wrote:There’s at least five variations of U.S.A. Peavey Predator headstocks, see serial numbers, below! Let's discuss more details of the U.S.A. series, and view eleven larger photos! These headstock variations include logo variations, or actual locations of logo items on front/back of headstock. The headstock shape appears unchanged in my research. I've documented multiple examples of each generation by serial number indicating new generations occuring, along with rare examples :o of another one appearing amid another trend/generation. The International series which appeared later is not discussed in this post.

The word “generation” is adopted in this thread to identify different logos, or wording/location of information on various U.S.A. Predators.

The serial number location is on the back of each Predator's headstock.
For location of “Made in”, “Handcrafted in”, or "Crafted In The U.S.A." - see below.

1st Generation
Predator w/ humbuckers/Kahler bridge, and Peavey logo on back of tuners.
Small script Peavey, and script Predator/Made in U.S.A. The front of some headstocks were natural, and others in black.
The age/timing of the black HSC (case) in photos is unknown.
Earliest example of 1st Gen. found (thus far in my own research) is # 021413XX.

2nd Gen.
Predator w/ single coil pickups & black finish on headstock, generic, round tuners.
Are these original tuners from the factory, or aftermarket?
Small script Predator, and script Peavey/Handcrafted in U.S.A. by Peavey.
Earliest example of 2nd Gen. found is # 0249866XX.

3rd Gen.
Predator w/ Back of headstock logo indicating, Handcrafted in the U.S.A.
Large Script Predator and 'pointy' Peavey logo, trap. tuners.
Earliest example 3rd Gen. found is # 049649XX

4th Gen.
Predator w/ Large Block letters, single coil pickups, trap tuners.
Earliest example of 4th Gen. found is # 057187XX.

5th Gen.
Predator w/ Small Block letters, single coil pickups, trap tuners.
"Crafted In The U.S.A" appears on front of headstock.
Large block examples can be found after this introduction of small block letter-logos, indicating a possibility of serial numbers added to remaining stock of remaining large block logo necks?
Earliest Example of 5th Gen. found is # 060271XX.

My black Predator is serial # 074114XX, and was produced in 1994 according to Peavey serial number lists recopied on many websites.
Gen. 3 – Gen. 6 Predators usually benefit from a better quality set of tuners. The choice of tuner included at the factory is unfortunate-considering the Predator's street price during the time. Many examples of Predator photos on the Internet can be found by those seeking them!

PHOTOS…
Generation 1, below.
Made in U.S.A.

Gen. 2, below.
Handcrafted In The U.S.A.

Gen. 3, below.

Gen. 4, below.

Gen. 5, below.
Crafted in U.S.A.

I think there is at least a Generation 6:
"Crafted in the USA" on the front, no printing on the back, no Truss cover, truss adjusts with allen wrench instead of 5/16" socket.
Sorry for the poor pic, I cropped it down from the best I had. I'm not able to take a better one now.

I love the USA Predators.
Rex
Forgive me for reviving an old thread, but one interesting thing I've noticed. On the 'Generation 6' you describe, the "Patent 4,237,944" notice is missing, and if you look closely at the neck, you'll notice it's not a bi-laminated neck (on all of the bi-laminated Peavey necks, if you look closely you can see where the two pieces of wood were glued together). Interesting that Peavey ditched this feature at some point, this was one of Chip Todd's cool inventions for the T-60, and supposedly also makes it less likely that the neck will warp. It was a good enough idea that Leo Fender decided to copy it for G&L (but also quit doing it at some point).
Guitars: 1988 Tracer Custom (22 fret with Kahler Spyder), 1994 Predator

TRexF16

Post by TRexF16 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:27 pm

You are correct, Sir! I have two of the "Gen 6" Predators and both necks are as you describe. That said, they are still great necks and the truss rods work just fine.

Rex

aussierod

Post by aussierod » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:32 am

Hi all. I just scored a Predator Strat off a mate.

Can anyone confirm if this is USA made please?
It has a groved in serial number and patent message on the back as well.

Serial number shows it's a 1994 issue.

Cheers,
Rodney.

TRexF16

Post by TRexF16 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:37 pm

Yes Rodney,

That one is American made. It looks like an aftermarket string tree has been added. Are there any other mods? How do you like it? Many Predator fans here.

Rex

GarrettL

Post by GarrettL » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:44 pm

aussierod wrote:Hi all. I just scored a Predator Strat off a mate.

Can anyone confirm if this is USA made please?
It has a groved in serial number and patent message on the back as well.

Serial number shows it's a 1994 issue.

Cheers,
Rodney.

I also have a 1994 era with this headstock logo.

In another forum a guy stated he worked at Peavey during this period. This particular series he claimed was made in two different countries. The neck was made in the US and the body was made China along with the electronics.

I don't know if this is true, can anyone verify this claim?

Artie

Re: USA Predator headstocks - WITH COMPARISON PHOTOS - what do w

Post by Artie » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:42 am

My Predator is like the gen 1 pics, but still has a slightly different headstock. No Peavey logo on the backs of the tuners.

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:08 pm

Artie wrote:My Predator is like the gen 1 pics, but still has a slightly different headstock. No Peavey logo on the backs of the tuners.
Artie, your pictures resemble the Generation 2, but with natural maple headstock face, instead of black, like the example photo.
Gen 1 says "Peavey Predator".
Gen 2 says "Predator Peavey".
Furthermore, it seems only Gen 1 has the "P" on the back of their stock tuners.
BTW, you have a very nice classic Peavey Predator there, or I should say Predator Peavey.

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:57 pm

These are my Predator headstocks. I used the Wiki serial number list to determine their birth years.

#0552xxxx, 1992, side by side lamination, not as obvious as some I've seen. (Note; I trimmed the truss rod cover and rounded off the pointy tip, long ago)
1992 Predator.JPG
1992 Predator.JPG (122.04 KiB) Viewed 9921 times
#0737xxxx, 1994, top and bottom lamination, basically a 1/4" thick fretboard.
1994 Predator.JPG
1994 Predator.JPG (114.68 KiB) Viewed 9921 times
That is just my two headstocks worth.
Last edited by tele twister on Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artie

Post by Artie » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:47 pm

tele twister wrote:
Artie wrote:My Predator is like the gen 1 pics, but still has a slightly different headstock. No Peavey logo on the backs of the tuners.
Artie, your pictures resemble the Generation 2, but with natural maple headstock face, instead of black, like the example photo.
Gen 1 says "Peavey Predator".
Gen 2 says "Predator Peavey".
Furthermore, it seems only Gen 1 has the "P" on the back of their stock tuners.
BTW, you have a very nice classic Peavey Predator there, or I should say Predator Peavey.
Thanks Tele. This is one of my first electric guitars. It's one I'll keep forever. I put Duncans in it, but I'll keep the original pups forever also. They're very unique. Dual rows of hex-head screws. Totally nonadjustable due to being drenched in epoxy on the rear. But they're splittable, and a have a sweet "vintage" vibe to them.

jonoguitarman

Post by jonoguitarman » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:28 am

Hi all,

I've just acquired a Predator, and from what I can see on this thread and from the serial number, it appears to be a Gen. 4 model, made in 1993 in the USA.

It's in OK condition, needs a bit of a clean. got a few dings on the body and neck. Just wondering if, from what it says on the headstock (serial etc) and the shape, I'd be right in assuming its a Gen. 4 model from 1993?

Thanks!

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:47 pm

Welcome jonoguitarman
The generation designation isn't really official, we just like to use it on this forum.
If you search List of Peavey Guitars >Wiki> and scroll to the bottom, you'll find year and serial number info.
I don't know how accurate it is, but it is good enough for me.

Your guitar has the large "Peavey" block letters, so it's a Gen 4, and the serial number does match 1993.

zaxxon

Post by zaxxon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:39 pm

This thread has been very helpful. It's what brought me to this site. Thanks to all the contributors. I just bought a '92, Gen 4 Predator. Would anyone be able to describe any differences in the necks themselves, between the generations, if there are any? Radius, profile, thickness, nut width, etc.