USA Predator headstocks - WITH COMPARISON PHOTOS - what do w

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
BPSUL

USA Predator headstocks - WITH COMPARISON PHOTOS - what do w

Post by BPSUL » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:57 pm

What can you guys tell me about these 4 predator headstocks?  Hopefully we can use them to identify the ‘better’ models of USA predator, or if not better, at least different.

I should have numbered the photo, but I didn’t, so lets assume they are:

#1   #2

#3   #4

1 and 3 are most similar – 6 inline tuners – with the block PEAVEY logo – but the headstock is definitely cut with sharper/softer angles between the two.

#2 has the predator script logo, with the very small Peavey pointy logo in the same location you see on some really nice old peavey guitars, like the falcon customs (carved tops) and the Generation S1,2,3 guitars.  This makes me think this model might be the best quality of the bunch but that’s just a guess.

#4 is a 3x3 tuner style, this really threw me off.  I’ve never seen one before.  Looks like the headstock on my Leakesville Firenza soapbar.

So, what can you guys tell me?

Classic30inCincy

Re: USA Predator headstocks - WITH COMPARISON PHOTOS - what

Post by Classic30inCincy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:29 pm

Peavey "Block Logo" was used for a short time and signifies a point in time.
(Late 90's into Early 2000's).

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

Box

Post by Box » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:33 pm

3+3 are Korean. Some may be Chinese or Indonesian.
I Peavey________
Ensoniq VFX
Korg Monotron
Korg Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KM802
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

BPSUL

Post by BPSUL » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks! I didn't realize the 3x3 was imported. I'm mostly concerned with the US models.

My gut says the script logo model has the most potential...

Box

Post by Box » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:59 pm

Script with pointed Peavey logo is the oldest of them.
I Peavey________
Ensoniq VFX
Korg Monotron
Korg Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KM802
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Lee60

Post by Lee60 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:15 pm

The chronological production dates of these headstocks would go: 2, 1, 3, 4. If you want to get really particular, there should be another version (maybe earlier) of #1 that has a black plastic truss cover. I could be wrong, but I thought #3 (block logo & 2 string trees) was the "International Series", which were imports from Asia. Also, I don't think there is any quality difference between 1 & 2... just a different headstock design. Another thing to look at is how many screws are holding the bridge plate to the body: 4 screws = USA. 6 screws = import. Hope that helps!

-Lee
Current Peavey roster:
Composer acoustic, Fury bass, Falcon Standard, Patriot (hardtail), Patriot (tremolo), Predator, Reactor, T-15

Non-Peavey
Squier Affinity Starcaster, Taylor 314ce acoustic

mteetank

Post by mteetank » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:02 pm

The 3+3 head stock is available on the Peavey Plus model (not the Peavey Plus EXP model)
As said in a previous post it was made in Korea and Vietnam. I own one and it can be had sub $100 , has locking tuners and a ssh pickups and a nice maple/rosewood neck. The body shape has a bit of a Rickenbacker shape or a bit like a peavy EVH Wolfgang.

Hope this helps,
tanker

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:46 am

I think I can put your pics in chronological order...

#2 is the earliest model you have posted. This was followed by #1, also made in the USA.

These were followed by #4, made in either Korea or Vietnam (all maple fret board ones are Vietnamese... Vietnam also made some with rosewood boards, but Korea only made them with rosewood boards)

And last but not least, would be #3, which is also an import. Probably China, possibly Indonesia as well...

In my opinion, if you want a nice US made Peavey Strat copy, skip the Predators altogether and go directly to a Falcon.

BTW, the 3 per side headstock on the Predator Plus looks kind of like a Leakesville Firenza from the front, but from the side, it's easy to see the difference. The Leakesville Firenza headstocks are angled back, like a G*bson, while the Predator Plus headstock is straight, like a F*nder.

BPSUL

Post by BPSUL » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:01 am

Follow-up question about the bridge.

Some of the models have what looks like a typical strat bridge.  Others look like the one in the attached image.  This bridge looks like a normal strat type bridge, however it looks like the body is routed with a shallow recess around the bridge itself.  Is that an optical illusion?  Is the body routed just like any other strat at the bridge, or is this in fact recessed as it appears?
Attachments
Peavey Pred bridge.png
Peavey Pred bridge.png (8.11 KiB) Viewed 22159 times

BPSUL

Post by BPSUL » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:40 am

GennyFan wrote:In my opinion, if you want a nice US made Peavey Strat copy, skip the Predators altogether and go directly to a Falcon.

GannyFan, do these comments apply to the more rare Predator AX model? My understanding is that the AX generally designates a premium model...

frederiklj

Post by frederiklj » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi;
i believe the AX reference is pointing to the pickup configuration, not the body/neck the Predator AX has a SSH and the Reactor AX had double blade humbuckers.

Manual for the AX:
http://peavey.com/assets/literature/man ... 301762.pdf

predator reg models:
http://peavey.com/assets/literature/man ... 301333.pdf
double hB;
http://peavey.com/assets/literature/man ... 300083.pdf
Pred plus:
http://peavey.com/assets/literature/man ... 304536.pdf

Glen C

Post by Glen C » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:15 pm

I have a U.S. predator with the headstock as pictured in #1. I need a nut for this guitar, could someone please post a link to where I can obtain one? Thanks in advance

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:49 pm

BPSUL wrote:
GennyFan wrote:In my opinion, if you want a nice US made Peavey Strat copy, skip the Predators altogether and go directly to a Falcon.
GannyFan, do these comments apply to the more rare Predator AX model? My understanding is that the AX generally designates a premium model...
Sorry for the delay in my reply, I don't visit the Peavey forum everyday like I used to.

No, the Predator AX is a good guitar in stock form. I have a friend with a Predator AX and it's as nice guitar, on a par with MIM Standards of the same era and comparable to some of the Falcons.

In addition to the "Lace-like" pickups, the Predator AX also came stock with sealed tuners.

The pickups on the regular Predators are good too, but it's the stamped-back tuners that soured me on the other USA Predators...

The stamped tuners work okay when a guitar is new and/or so long as people lube them regularly, but the problem is that many people will put a guitar in a closet for several years, not lube the tuners, and then hand it off to someone trying to learn.

Once those stamped tuners dry out, even if you re-lube them, they can be nearly impossible to keep in tune. Show me a person who thinks those stamped tuners stay in tune well, and I'll show you a person who can't hear when their guitar is out of tune. :P

BTW, It's not just limited to stamped-back tuners. F*nder's new budget line, the "Starcaster" has sealed back tuners, but they are even worse than most stamped back tuners. At least the stamped-back tuners stayed in tune when they were new... :idea:

Thanks to frederiklj for posting the links to the manuals.

Slap

Post by Slap » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:33 pm

#2 is definitely the oldest of the pack listed....and it's what my '92 USA Predator has.

The Falcons are definitely a better-quality guitar in terms of materials....there was a reason Hartley was able to retail the USA Predators so low. The stamped-back tuners, the cheap ceramic bar-magnet pickups, the Alpha pots....not a bad guitar(damn good for the money), but easy to tell where the savings were made.

Riffs

Post by Riffs » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:38 pm

There’s at least five variations of U.S.A. Peavey Predator headstocks, see serial numbers, below! Let's discuss more details of the U.S.A. series, and view eleven larger photos! These headstock variations include logo variations, or actual locations of logo items on front/back of headstock. The headstock shape appears unchanged in my research. I've documented multiple examples of each generation by serial number indicating new generations occuring, along with rare examples :o of another one appearing amid another trend/generation. The International series which appeared later is not discussed in this post.

The word “generation” is adopted in this thread to identify different logos, or wording/location of information on various U.S.A. Predators.

The serial number location is on the back of each Predator's headstock.
For location of “Made in”, “Handcrafted in”, or "Crafted In The U.S.A." - see below.

1st Generation
Predator w/ humbuckers/Kahler bridge, and Peavey logo on back of tuners.
Small script Peavey, and script Predator/Made in U.S.A. The front of some headstocks were natural, and others in black.
The age/timing of the black HSC (case) in photos is unknown.
Earliest example of 1st Gen. found (thus far in my own research) is # 021413XX.

2nd Gen.
Predator w/ single coil pickups & black finish on headstock, generic, round tuners.
Are these original tuners from the factory, or aftermarket?
Small script Predator, and script Peavey/Handcrafted in U.S.A. by Peavey.
Earliest example of 2nd Gen. found is # 0249866XX.

3rd Gen.
Predator w/ Back of headstock logo indicating, Handcrafted in the U.S.A.
Large Script Predator and 'pointy' Peavey logo, trap. tuners.
Earliest example 3rd Gen. found is # 049649XX

4th Gen.
Predator w/ Large Block letters, single coil pickups, trap tuners.
Earliest example of 4th Gen. found is # 057187XX.

5th Gen.
Predator w/ Small Block letters, single coil pickups, trap tuners.
"Crafted In The U.S.A" appears on front of headstock.
Large block examples can be found after this introduction of small block letter-logos, indicating a possibility of serial numbers added to remaining stock of remaining large block logo necks?
Earliest Example of 5th Gen. found is # 060271XX.

My black Predator is serial # 074114XX, and was produced in 1994 according to Peavey serial number lists recopied on many websites.
Gen. 3 – Gen. 6 Predators usually benefit from a better quality set of tuners. The choice of tuner included at the factory is unfortunate-considering the Predator's street price during the time. Many examples of Predator photos on the Internet can be found by those seeking them!

PHOTOS…
Generation 1, below.
Made in U.S.A.

Gen. 2, below.
Handcrafted In The U.S.A.

Gen. 3, below.
Handcrafted In The U.S.A. (back of headstock)

Gen. 4, below.
Handcrafted In The U.S.A. (back of headstock)

Gen. 5, below.
Crafted in U.S.A.

Last edited by Riffs on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Hammer On!