PowerSlide Players?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
Bill Moore

PowerSlide Players?

Post by Bill Moore » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:24 pm

I play a little guitar, and a Sho-Bud pedal steel.(E9). I got a PowerSlide from a guy a few months ago, and have been having a little non pedal practice. After a search here, I wonder if any one is really playing one. I'm curious what tunings others use, and if anyone has replaced the bridge with something more substantial.
I tried the standard E, D, and G tunings, and now replaced the strings and trying C6, (I found a lot of tab for it). I do get a lot of buzz with the 6th string with this tuning though.
Thanks for any input.

billyspr

Re: PowerSlide Players?

Post by billyspr » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:37 pm

I wish I could tune the 6th string to a G or a D without it jumping the groove..1 month old and already an unsuccessful trip to the repair center of the dealer I purchased it from ...

Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:49 am

I've tuned mine back to open "E", and I played with the string gauges some, I don't have a fret rattle problem, even with some thinner strings. Also started using a volume pedal, as the tone changes when volume pot is changed. I suppose when I become a better player, I may be concerned about the high frets, but I can easily use the "A" at the 16th.
Overall I like the guitar! Now I need one of the string bending bridges!

es336td

Post by es336td » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:10 pm

I know this is an old thread, but don't see anywhere else to ask this. I got a PowerSlide for Christmas last year. For the money, it's quite a nice guitar. True, it's hard to get past my belly to play the upper registers, but for what I use it for, I don't need that. True, the gig bag is slightly better than a trash bag; it's fallen off a cart and I've got two lovely chips on the body and headstock. The strap is cheap, but works. I added Schaller strap locks and it made it far more usable. Glad to see it's not just me having the problem with the E string popping out when tuning. I've found when I tune it all the way down and then wind everything closer to the right, it's not as bad, but adding a string tree or the like would definitely help. For the money, you can't beat it!

Now for the question. Has anyone tried a HipShot Trilogy on a PowerSlide? True, the Autotune technology would greatly improve this guitar, but I don't see it happening. I was thinking of one of these, but don't know how the bridge would work with it. http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.p ... etail&p=34 Yes, I know it costs more than the guitar, but if they offered the Autotune technology, that's about the price you'd pay. Any other multituning options out there?

es336td

Post by es336td » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:25 pm

No other PowerSlide players on here? Like I said, I know it's an old thread, but I just got mine last year.

es336td

Post by es336td » Fri May 24, 2013 6:21 pm

No one?

swisher_b

Post by swisher_b » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:08 pm

Got one a few weeks ago. I'm not a great slide player, but I'm having fun with it. Didn't like the strings that it came loaded with, so I put on some flat wound 11/50 - great slide action and tone! Got it tuned to open D. As everyone else seems to be commenting, I'm not to thrilled with the bridge, or the nut for that matter. I was worried about the strings staying in the grooves, or the grooves causing buzzing, but so far have had no problems. Overall, a cool guitar and very unique addition to my Peavey collection.
B. Swisher
T15, T25, T60, Patriot, EVH Wolfgang Special, Raptor Plus, Power Slide, T20 bass, T40 bass, Foundation bass

Slideman

Post by Slideman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:11 pm

I have had one for a couple years. I use it for blues mostly, played in open E with overdrive. I have had a blast with it. Normally I play lead on a Les Paul and slide on a Danelectro, but I find that the lap steel adds a lot of variety as well as uniqueness to my playing at gigs. Eventually I may add a better pickup but otherwise have had no issues. I use Ernie Ball 10-56s with no slipping out of string slots etc. Overall a great buy!

kcalmes

Post by kcalmes » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:48 pm

My Power Slide got here yesterday. It arrived with an open D tuning, but the F# and low D strings rattle a bit.
Do any of you have any tuning suggestions? Which tuning does Robert Randolph use? My normal lap steel tuning is C6. Has anyone here tried this tuning on the Power Slide? Have any of you replaced the nut and bridge?

Thanks!