The FIRENZA Thread!

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
jreising326

Re: The FIRENZA Thread!

Post by jreising326 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:58 pm

Someone uploaded a Hand Drawn Diagram in 2017. When I first looked it over I didn't think it was wired correctly, so I entered it into DIYlc. DIYlc has a the capability to analyze the wiring and generate a report. Turns out there was 1 minor error, once correct, it will work as described in the Manual. If so then this diagram may actually be the "real" Firenza Diagram. I have Dimarzio Pickups in my Firenza so I used their wire coloring, but I also included a Peavey Humbucker for reference. If at some point anyone with a Firenza AX with original wiring and pickups sees this, could you upload a photo of your control cavity? The only thing different in this diagram compared to the hand drawn one is the Cap on the tone pot on mine is soldered to ground. In the hand drawn diagram there is a cap between 2 pins on the Volume Pot. If anyone can verify the value of that cap, it would be greatly appreciated! Also including the DIYlc Wiring Analysis Report for reference.

A few other notes, this diagram uses the Neck South, Bridge North Out-of-Phase and Hum-Cancelling Single Coil split. I think I'd prefer Neck North, Bridge South. Also in position 3 both Humbuckers are Humbucking, but they are Out of Phase. I have not wired this up and tried it out. The diagram uses the North Finish as the Hot. This can easily be changed to use the Hot Wire, which would eliminate the Out-of-Phase and probably the Humbucking Single Coil Configuration.

I'd be curious to hear from other Firenza AX's owners with original wiring if they believe this really is the stock wiring?
Attachments
FirenzaAX_Wirelist.png
FirenzaAX_Wirelist.png (142.39 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
firenza3.png
firenza3.png (1017.53 KiB) Viewed 4308 times

Hydro86

Post by Hydro86 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:04 am

Just got a AX couple days ago. I’m assuming this is stock. It has the stock pickups but I got to say this soldering job is hideous.
Attachments
6FB01DE3-D9F5-476A-B1B8-9C0CB9E520B1.jpeg
6FB01DE3-D9F5-476A-B1B8-9C0CB9E520B1.jpeg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 4075 times

ChuckStoat

Post by ChuckStoat » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:16 am

Hey all. Sorry to be That Noob, but I've been semi looking for my first p-90 equipped guitar. I went to try a Yamaha Revstars (which I didn't love) and the shop had a Firenza p90. Don't love the looks but thought it played great and seems like a pretty good bargain!

A few questions:
Despite the look the Firenza p90 would be closest to say a Les Paul Special or p90 equipped SG right?

The serial number would seem to indicate it was built in 2010. Which I guess would be the very last year of the Leaksville factory? Any red flags from that and/or just want to be sure all the Firenzas we're made in the US right. No possibility this was put together overseas?

Finally price. As they don't sell very often a little hard to judge what is a good price in 2023? I think they would sell it for $450 including a Peavey hard shell case. Decent for these days?

I really appreciate anyone's feedback!

jreising326

Post by jreising326 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:13 pm

These Guitars were USA made in the Leaksville Peavey Factory alongside the Wolfgangs. I believe between 1998 and 2002? They are nice, well built Guitars. I am sure someone looking for one of these would gladly pay $450 for one in good condition that includes the OHSC. I don't have the Soapbar, but do have an AX and a JX, both in near new condition, no OHSC, scored for around $200 each. Bargains can be found, but I doubt you'd find one easily. I was looking for a little over a year for a JX before I found one. They each sound quite different due to different Pickups and Woods. From what I hear the P90 model is perhaps the one most would prefer. The AX I believe is the Top of the Line Firenza with Locking Tuners, and I think they retailed for around $800. The others I believe were between $400 and $600, and I think the Soapbar was in the middle. Good luck and hope that helps! Spend some time reading through this thread too, there is a lot of good info regarding Firenza's here, perhaps more than you'd find anywhere else.

junton

Post by junton » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:14 am

Does anyone know if the exact Firenza neck shape is used for other guitars? I kinda want all of my guitars to have that neck and I was wondering if there are guitars out there using the same neck or if a parts dealer like Warmouth sells them. Thanks so much!

SplooshDaPool

Post by SplooshDaPool » Thu May 11, 2023 4:54 pm

I was browsing CL yesterday and I saw a strat-shaped guitar with p90s and and stop tailpiece. I thought the features looked cool. It was a Firenza.

The guy was asking $175 for the guitar and a Peavey Rage 158 amp. I offered him $160 and he said he'd take that.

When I plugged it into the amp, the neck pickup didn't work, so I asked him if he would take $140. He accepted.

I got a near-mint Firenza (the brown burst one) for $80 given the amp is worth around $60.

I got it home, cleaned it up, and put new strings on it. I plugged it in and after fiddling with the switch for a while the neck pickup started working. The switch contact was oxidized. The only thing wrong with it is that it's missing the switch tip.

Now, to the guitar:

Holy Freaking Crap!!

It's an incredible guitar. Pro-level instrument. The pickups sound great. The neck pickup does a strat thing, but without the strat honk that I don't like. It plays beautifully, the tuners work great, the finish is beautiful. The neck on mine is perfect. A little chunkier than on my 60's Les Paul neck, and a little thinner than the 50's LP neck. These guitars would be a bargain at $500.

This thread has been a wealth of information on my new guitar. Thank you all!

twangboy

Post by twangboy » Mon May 15, 2023 2:20 pm

Amber Harbour has these pickups. Look her up on FB
2- 87' Falcons, 90 Falcon Standard, 91 Falcon Custom,94 Axcelerator, 95 Firenza, Patriot, 83 Impact 2, 84 Horizon 2, Prowler, Wiggy, 2 X Classic 20,Classic 30 II, VK20MH(FieldKing!), 112SX cab, Transtube Pro 100 EFX, Transtube 258EFX

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:37 am

I got a JX for my nephew. And I have the AX and P90 version. I know the AX was the most expensive, but the P90 version is the best. The AX has same or similar pickups as the Wolfgang’s from that era. I’ve had people not like the factory P90 pickups, but they are nice sounding to me.
The mahogany body of the P90 version is just killer.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

BlingFree

Post by BlingFree » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:41 pm

While all past articles point to the "Gotoh p90 Old" as the p90 replacement, a modern search for such a pickup doesn't give any good results. Has it been discontinued or replaced?

Do we know the current ohms values for the Peavey p90 bridge and neck pickup? Maybe Gotoh has a similar one.. or Dylan or whomever. It's a more "jangly" one, right?

Thanks!

BlingFree

Post by BlingFree » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:32 pm

Found Gotoh Old-1-N and Old-1-B on eBay.. $112 each
Gotoh's catalog shows only a Old-1 model, it's an alnico 5 @ 5.95k ohms

Robertryanedmondson

Post by Robertryanedmondson » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:23 pm

NGD Picked me one up today. I was looking for a P90 guitar, came across this and nutted out. I was trying to trade a Player Series HSH Strat in Buttercream and I just could not get him to trade. I ended up trading the Strat for a Epi les Paul 50s standard. Well I am cruising CL again and notice this is still there and he has dropped the price $100. I offer him the Epi Les Paul and he took it. I know its an uneven trade monetarily, but it was way worth it to get what I NEED and WANT. Sounds Like a beast through my Peavey MX VTX or Heritage. Dude even drove 30 minutes to meet me right by my house. LOVING TODAY.
Attachments
FirenzaP90.jpg
FirenzaP90.jpg (72.83 KiB) Viewed 1685 times

warner112aa

Post by warner112aa » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:17 am

The Impact Firenzas are the only Firenzas with 6-inline tuners. Both Impact Firenzas came equipped with a HSS pickup configuration and a Gotoh "Power Bend" tremolo. The Impact Firenza AX was the deluxe model and came with locking tuners, graphite bridge saddles, and an ash body. Both of the Impact Firenzas were made in Meridian Mississippi, USA.