Peavy DPM C8 Help

This forum is for talking about Peavey keyboard amplifiers.
burnt_elder

Peavy DPM C8 Help

Post by burnt_elder » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:57 pm

I got hold of a DPM C8 and it worked* almost perfectly, with a few issues of varying degrees.
As I was writing this, I was testing the behaviour so that I could put forward as much accurate information as possible. Below is what I had written,
Primarily, if I leave it off for some time, when I power it back on, the display is completely illegible, and most text is replaced by smileys . An image is attached. In order to resolve the issue, I can Initialize the unit by holding 0, and enter while powering it on. This is obviously a big issue, as it means that I'll have to reconfigure the unit every time I want to use it.
The situation has changed. I can no longer re-initialize the unit, and instead the screen says "SYSTEM ERROR RAM FAILURE". It's pretty cut and dry, which I might be thankful for.
I don't have the time and resources to dismantle this beast at the moment, but I thought I might get some more information before I do it anyhow. Does anyone have any information on how I would go about replacing the broken RAM chips? Specifically,
Where can I purchase or find replacements?
How would I go about testing these kinds of RAM chips?

I already have copies of the schematics, so I can identify the chips once I do decide to open it up.

Enzo

Re: Peavy DPM C8 Help

Post by Enzo » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:18 pm

Well it won't be a bunch of chips, it will be the battery RAM, the one IC kept alive to remember your patch settings. There should be a battery on the board inside, and if it go3s flat, such things happen. The system can't tell the difference between a bad RAM or a good RAM with no battery voltage.

And some older NiCad batteries leak and the spooge on the board is conductive. It is a mess but can be cleaned up.

Of course ther COULD be a bad RAM. And for some models of PV stuff using memory savers, there may be an update with a newer IC no longer needing a battery. I don't know if that applies here or not.