KB2 Cutting out During performance, Please Help

This forum is for talking about Peavey keyboard amplifiers.
Tenortim

KB2 Cutting out During performance, Please Help

Post by Tenortim » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:33 pm

So my KB2 has starting cutting out (power turning off and back on) when subjected to loud bass inputs. Apparently the vibrations are affecting a loose connection somewhere. It only turns off for maybe 1 second and comes back on. (The power light goes off and on too). It will also do this when bumped with your hand on the side of the cabinet. Apparently there is a loose connection inside somewhere. I first suspected the power cord jack on the back of the chassis. After checking it with a multi-meter, I ruled it out. Secondly I noticed what seemed to be a loose connection on one of the terminals of the power rocker switch. I ordered a new one and replaced it. However this hasn't fixed the problem. I can't physically "see" any other connections in the chassis that appears loose, but I really don't know where to focus from here. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
Tim

Enzo

Re: KB2 Cutting out During performance, Please Help

Post by Enzo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:27 pm

It is loose electrically, not mechanically - at least not in the sense it looks loose.

Get the amp running while out of the cabinet, and connect a speaker. Play something through it like a CD player. Now use an insulated thing like a wooden chopstick, and poke everything inside, looking for something that creates this blackout when poked. That will likely be where the problem lies. You can't usually measure loose connections with your meter, unless you clip the probes to the circuit and whack it while you watch the meter.

Resolder the power cord connections.