Teal Stripe KB300 xlr jack volume issue

This forum is for talking about Peavey keyboard amplifiers.
NW Peavey Fan

Teal Stripe KB300 xlr jack volume issue

Post by NW Peavey Fan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:38 pm

New poster here, so please forgive me if this has been addressed before. I could not find it after much searching.
I have a teal stripe KB300, with the xlr mic jack and volume knob. When I plug my Pyle mic into it (600ohm), I get no volume from the amp. I can tap on the mic housing and hear a thud from the amp (volumes at full, low volume thud). When I plug the mic into a 1/4 jack on any of the three other channels it works fine (loud as a war zone during business hours).
Am I missing something here? The manual I downloaded says the xlr channel is a 3.3kilohm (their spelling) input. I am new to microphone audio matching, so any help would be appreciated. The amp is awesome, but the xlr channel is kind of useless right now. :oops: :?: :roll:
89 Predator USA
Heritage Bass USA
VK100, VK112, Bandit 75, teal stripe KB300, KB/A100, XR600B, Stereo Chorus 400, and a Classic 50watt 212 :D And enough speaker cabs to make Malcolm Young proud.

Enzo

Re: Teal Stripe KB300 xlr jack volume issue

Post by Enzo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:26 pm

The XLR and the 1/4" are entirely different conectors. How can you plug the same mike into both connectors?

What connector is on the mike itself? XLR male? And are you using some sort of adaptor for the 1/4" jack? The XLR input is a balanced input, is your Pyle wired for unbalanced?

NW Peavey Fan

Post by NW Peavey Fan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:53 am

I apologize for not being more clear in my description. Yes, the Microphone I am using is a male xlr output.
I have two different cables for my mic. One is an xlr female to male, and one is an xlr female to 1/4 inch jack.
I have made sure the mic is functioning by using the 1/4 inch cable into the adjacent 3 channels on this amp. They all 3 work well, and the mic produces good signal through these channels.
However, when I put the mic through the xlr channel on the far left of the front panel, the Mic channel, the only sound I can get it to produce is the thud from tapping on the mic with the mic channel volume at 10, and the amp master volume at 10.
I downloaded the manual for this amp from the Peavey site, and the amp itself reads Low Z Mic for the xlr channel, not balanced output like the balanced output xlr from my bass amp by a different maker.
I am just a guitar player with too much gear, not an amp tech or anything like that. I am not a sound engineer, but I am trying to make this stuff work for the keyboardist in my band so I can bring our sound to the gig instead of relying on the venue to supply a "Sound Guy" who usually gets it wrong.
I have also seen this model amp listed for sale on the web, with the Mic channel listed as being either "broken" or "useless" in the ad. Is this a common trait for this model?

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:27 am

There are two types of XLR to 1/4M plug cords. Some have an impedance transformer in the male, others just wire the balanced XLR end to unbalanced 1/4M. OH, and a third. Some mics have XLR male but are not balanced, and the cord with 1/4M on the other end is wired for that unbalanced condition.

SO before we blame the amp, take a plain XLR to XLR cord and plug the mic into a PA channel somewhere else. Just to make sure the mic works right on balanced.

There is not much to the mic circuit, it is similar to the Hi=z circuits mostly.

NW Peavey Fan

Post by NW Peavey Fan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:21 pm

Eureka! Thank you Enzo, you are the man! I tested the jack by your last reply, using the mic with the xlr to 1/4 inch cable into my bass amp 1/4 jack. Then I connected the xlr to xlr cable from the balanced line out on my bass amp into the Mic jack channel on the KB300, and it worked with voice through the speaker from both amps. Thank you sir!
I see now what I have been trying to use as a primary Mic xlr cable is actually just an extension without the balance feature you mentioned. I cannot guess how long it would have taken me to stumble on that on my own, I am in your debt.
:oops:
I knew it had to be some kind of operator error, hence I came here for clarification. I never really doubted the Peavey was super tough, and I always doubted the assumption that I had a bad amp.
:D
89 Predator USA
Heritage Bass USA
VK100, VK112, Bandit 75, teal stripe KB300, KB/A100, XR600B, Stereo Chorus 400, and a Classic 50watt 212 :D And enough speaker cabs to make Malcolm Young proud.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:07 am

Great, you owe me a dollar.

Actually, put a dollar in the donations at a homeless shelter. Or donate a pack of toilet paper to an area senior housing facility. I'll call it even.