DPM C8 keyboard help

This forum is for talking about Peavey keyboard amplifiers.
nick_nb3

DPM C8 keyboard help

Post by nick_nb3 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:13 pm

I just got this keyboard from my neighbor. He said a while ago, he turned it on and it said "Peavey has left the building". he found out that that meant the circuit board battery leaked and it needed to be replaced. he said if enough of the battery fluid got on the circuit board then there's a chance that it could never work again.

so he gave me the circuit board (he had already taken it out and bought the battery) and i took off the old battery and the circuit board looked pretty clean--there wasn't even a trace of the old battery fluid. i soldered the new battery on (which was pretty tricky) and then i put the circuit board back into the keyboard. then i had to figure out the puzzle of how to plug circuit board into the keyboard (which plugs go where), and i think i figured it out, but i am not quite sure.

After I got it all set up I plugged in the power cord. i was very hopeful it would work, but when i flipped the power switch a little black line flashed across the display screen for about a half a second and then nothing else happened. i can tell that the power is working because it is making a very quite humming noise, so i know thats not the problem. I wish i had a midi to firewire interface so i could plug it into my mac and run Reason to see if it will at least still work as a controller but i don't yet (thats my next purchase). does anyone know what the problem could be and what i could do to fix it? or how i could test to see if it works as a controller? also, does anyone know where i could find the circuit board layout so i could know where i plug everything in?

thanks a lot

Enzo

Re: DPM C8 keyboard help

Post by Enzo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:36 pm

You can request teh schematics from PV parts or customer service. I suspect you can download the owners manual from the PV web site. Check archived manuals under support.

But when a battery is replaced, you will have to re-initialize the system. Restore factory settings in other words. This is usually a matter of holding down a couople of buttons while powering up. Customer service can tell you that simple procedure.

If the screen doesn;t come up with signs of intelligence, it is not likely to do anything else useful either.

pvholic

Post by pvholic » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:03 pm

" If the screen doesn;t come up with signs of intelligence, it is not likely to do anything else useful either."

Sadly, I know some people like that too!

DMEdwards

Post by DMEdwards » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Sorry to revive a long-dead thread, but I wondered if you found a solution to this problem. My DPM C8 is in the same state as the latest post - when it turns on a line flashes across the screen. The "Enter - 0" button combination has no effect.

After several years of being unused, I discovered the battery had leaked. I've replaced it and repaired all of the damaged circuitry, but nothing much happens when I turn it on.

I've tested a variety of things on the circuitry, (clocks, proper gate functioning on TTL chips, etc.) and haven't found anything obviously wrong. Are replacement PROMs available? Specifically, I'm guessing that the HI and LO PROMs could have lost their brains after so long idle. I'm not sure what a decade of bit rot will do.

Incidentally, I've got the schematics if anyone needs them.

felix

Post by felix » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:33 pm

Hi. I need to replace the battery on my dpm c8 keyboard but I don't know where it is located to be able to find it and replace it. Thanks very much in advance for any assistance!

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:21 am

It is inside soldered to the corner of the CPU board.

BTM

Post by BTM » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:50 am

FYI if anyone is looking for one of these there's one for sale on the Louisville, KY Cragslist. I thought about it but quickly realized I have no place to put such a monster. Here's the ad:

Peavey digital keyboard - $75 (Louisville)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-04-12, 4:48PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peavey DPM C8 keyboard.
88 weighted keys.
Needs battery changed to be operational.
$75 OBO. Thanks.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/2321281980.html
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

BTM

Post by BTM » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:53 am

Still for sale . . . http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/2525445452.html

peavey 88 weighted keys keyboard - $75 (louisville)

Date: 2011-08-02, 12:00AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Peavey DPM C8 midi keyboard
88 weighted keys, many functions.
Needs a battery installed if you are handy like that.
Here's something that discusses the battery issue
and how much it might be worth with a new battery.
http://dayton.craigslist.org/msg/2499413749.html
I never found time to put the battery in, as it is not
like a regular battery change operation.
$75 obo.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

edwin.w

Post by edwin.w » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:44 pm

To reset a DPM C8:

DPM C8
Turn the power off. Press and hold the 0 and ENTER buttons. Turn the power on and keep holding the buttons down until "Unit Initialized" appears in the upper right portion of the display.

DPM C8p
Turn the power off. Press and hold the 0 and COPY buttons. Turn the power on and keep holding the buttons until "Unit Initialized" appears in the display.

For more information see http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes ... t_list.cfm

Maybee this resets the keyboard back to a working state.

JIMKOVACS

Post by JIMKOVACS » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:06 pm

I am TRYING to fix one of these dinosaurs.
When the battery leaks, it fulminates all the PC traces underneath on the board.
VERY fine traces ! and very hard to follow, since it is double-sided.
Also, a PAIN to take apart, you can't work on the board until you pull it out and disconnect it, so it is a LONG procedure every time you do something and test it.
For now, got the new battery in and fixed all the traces I could find, but I still get a BlueScreenOf Death on the LCD display. No wonder Peavey discontinued this, it is the Techies' Nightmare !
I will call on the Spirits of Patience and continue for a while longer, but since I live in Venezuela, if I don't fix it my client can donate it to a museum.
If I get it working, I will definitely get back to y'all.....
Be mostly happy.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:09 pm

I don't know if you can send it to teh factory in Meridian from venezuela, but if you could it would probably be worth it.

I take a certain pride in not sending things out of my shop, but whenever I encounter one of these with battery goo all over, I have sent it to them for rebuilding. It has always come back working and at a reasonable cost.

quito

Post by quito » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:21 pm

Hello, im having a problem with my DMP C8, and im new at the forum so im not sure where should i ask for advice in this forum. Im in real need for help here and anything would be helpful. :!: :!:

Here´s my problem: Ive been using this keyboard for a few year now (i use it just for studying or teaching Piano lessons in my house, connecting ti thru MIDI to my Lexicon Lambda using Logic X.. All of the sudden, when i play the notes F G A B C (it would be the central F in the F clef, on the piano of course) it plays a lot of sounds at the same time (like noise, as if a lot of notes are being played at the same time, just noise).. Ive tried a lot of things, changed the MIDI cable, reset the keyboard pressing 0+ENTER, checking the Logics Drivers for it (tho it doesn't really need drivers to use with Logic). I really don't know what to do, and as you can see its really hard to "use it" like this..

If it is not the right place to post this, im so sorry please tell me where! :?:

Thanks in advance!!

quito/Argentina

:mrgreen:

tmaddi

Post by tmaddi » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:16 pm

hello Nick.... I have the same exact problem, ,,,,did you ever resolve it?

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:38 am

Nick only has one post on this forum, the one at top of this thread, and he has not been back. That was 9 years ago.

NoodleInThePool

Post by NoodleInThePool » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:47 pm

I apologize for resurrecting this Beast but I too have a DPM C8 Master Performance Controller with a screen that reads "The C8 has left the building, Address at 00196C" on startup. I'm aware that the battery needs to be changed, but has anyone had any luck resolving additional issues related to the battery being dead for an extended length of time (ie EEPROM needing reflashing/replacing after being unpowered for a long time or needing to repair individual traces?)

I'm a reasonably competent solder jockey with some knowledge of embedded systems and microcontrollers but I've yet to see anyone report any sucess in returning the system to full operation after such an incident bar sending it back to Peavey.

I've already sent customer service an email (God bless them, I own several Peavey products now and more over the years) but I need to spend my free time on something anyway so I'd like to do the repair myself if at all possible.

Also schematics/service manual appreciated if you have no other info!