Good replacement speaker for KB5 10" 16 ohm

This forum is for talking about Peavey keyboard amplifiers.
uriahsmusic

Good replacement speaker for KB5 10" 16 ohm

Post by uriahsmusic » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:56 pm

First thanx for the forum and help.

I bought a KB5 at a great price but the guy replaced one of the speaker he said blew, with a 8 ohm Kustom speaker which cant take the bottom.
So I am looking for a replacement speaker but I am having trouble with the Peavey part #. For example Peavey gave me #70777254 as a part #. They said it is a Blue Marvel without the label. 1. So do I find a blue marvel 10" rated at 16 ohms and 100w program and call it a night ( I saw one but it is listed as a guitar speaker with ext#'s 1038 or 1028 ?????)

2. Can I use ANY 10" 100w 16ohm instrument speaker?

3. Does anyone know what it is really called?

3. Can I replace it with a speaker of the same specs, but designated as a bass speaker 40-5k let's say
so it might not blow so fast. (I play keys with a heavy left hand.)

Classic30inCincy

Re: Good replacement speaker for KB5 10" 16 ohm

Post by Classic30inCincy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Peavey Blue Marvel mentioned might be the 10" Classic Series speaker manufactured for Peavey by Eminence Speaker Company.

Recommend additional Customer Service assistance at:

1) Eminence Speaker Company (Eminence Kentucky)

2) WGS Speaker Company (Paducah Kentucky)

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

Box

Post by Box » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:25 pm

Any 10" speaker meant for full range applications with the right ohm and wattage rating will work.
I Peavey________
Ensoniq VFX
Korg Monotron
Korg Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KM802
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:44 pm

If Peavey gave you the part number, then why not turn around and order it from them? That part number is the Peavey part number, not an industry standard number.

Blue Marvel is Peavey's brand for speakers made for them by other companies. There are a lot of different BLue Marvel speakers. You found some DIFFERENT Blue Marvel 10". At 16 ohms it was not likely made for a keyboard amp. It was probably for something like a Classic 20 or a Delta Blues.

The KB5 is a keyboard amp - it is a full range system. Basically it is a small PA system in one box. You want a full range speaker, NOT a guitar speaker. Especially if you expect some bottom end out of it.

Why are we looking for a 16 ohm speaker, is that what PV had in there originally? Looks like the KB5 has two of them, so what it the other one? Is it still original? What numbers are on it? If the Kustom can;t handle the bass notes, it isn't because of its impedance anyway.

DO we know WHY the original speaker was gone? I am not aware that the KB5 has earned any reputation as a speaker killer.

If you are concerned with bottom, get a 1x15 extension cab for it.

uriahsmusic

Post by uriahsmusic » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:52 pm

...so many great answers!......The guy I bought it from said the speaker blew so he put the Kustom speaker in. Peavey told me the speakers were 16 ohm and yes that is 2 16 ohm speakers and a horn.

The Toad

Post by The Toad » Sun May 05, 2019 12:29 pm

I am kind of in the same boat. I have a KB5 and the 10" speakers have always had problems handling the bass from my Hammond and sometimes my Synths. In the past I had always used bass amps but they did not have stereo feeds. My KB5 with bottom end issues and adding a cabinet with a 15 sounds great but I can still hear the 10's distorting. I am wondering if anyone knows the specs for these 16 ohm 10" speakers? What the range is mainly. I know another set of 10" bass speakers will do the trick but I don't know what to get. Most full range speakers will not handle the extreme bass notes. I want to fix this once and for all!