KB2 Line out

This forum is for talking about Peavey keyboard amplifiers.
es336td

KB2 Line out

Post by es336td » Thu May 12, 2011 1:18 pm

Been using the KB2 for a few months now and love it... however, the line out output is HUGE! I can barely turn it up to a level I can hear on stage and the sound tech is crying that I am peaking the channel with no gain. Is there a trick I don't know? The manual is worthless.

Box

Re: KB2 Line out

Post by Box » Thu May 12, 2011 1:48 pm

I had a Behringer amp like that. The signal out of the line output would be maxed. I think they expect you to control it from the mixer board some how. What's your current set up? Depending on what keyboard(s) you have you could run one output out to the sound guy and one out to your amp. I'm assuming you're more or less using the amp as a monitor?
I Peavey________
Ensoniq VFX
Korg Monotron
Korg Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KM802
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

es336td

Post by es336td » Fri May 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Box wrote:I had a Behringer amp like that. The signal out of the line output would be maxed. I think they expect you to control it from the mixer board some how. What's your current set up? Depending on what keyboard(s) you have you could run one output out to the sound guy and one out to your amp. I'm assuming you're more or less using the amp as a monitor?
I run a Roland GR-30 synth > Digitech RPM-1 > Behringer RX1601 (I think that's it) > the Peavey. To cut down on mics and DIs... I wanted to use the direct out. I have a splitter I could use to split the signal... was hoping to keep from doing that.

Does anyone know of a mod to put in a attenuator on that output?

Box

Post by Box » Fri May 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Behringer RX1602? 16 channel mixer. I'm assuming you're running multiple things then? Have both the guitar's signal and guitar synth's signal into the mixer? Then out to the amp? The mixer should have multiple outputs. One output to the soundboard and the other out to your amp. Kind of hard to know for sure without knowing specifics.
I Peavey________
Ensoniq VFX
Korg Monotron
Korg Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KM802
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

es336td

Post by es336td » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Box wrote:Behringer RX1602? 16 channel mixer. I'm assuming you're running multiple things then? Have both the guitar's signal and guitar synth's signal into the mixer? Then out to the amp? The mixer should have multiple outputs. One output to the soundboard and the other out to your amp. Kind of hard to know for sure without knowing specifics.

Sorry for the delay... forgot about this.

I run my Variax acoustic patches, Shure 520 Harp mic > Line6 Pocket POD, GR30 synth into the mixer and then out to the amp. Since I didn't figure this out, I run the output direct to the board via a Whirlwind Director, and take the 1/4 out of that to the amp for on stage ambient sound for the other band members.

I was running in channel 1 so I could get the Treble Mid Bass tone controls. I found that channel 1 was significantly louder than channels 2 & 3. Haven't tried running everything direct, and using the line out because this works so well.

Peter Richter

Post by Peter Richter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:27 pm

Your master volume knob on the KB2 comes after the line out so only controls the volume you hear on your amp.
Try running your master knob higher and keep the individual channels down (or lower the output on your behringer mixer). That will give a lower signal to the desk.
The fact that you are running your Behringer mixer into CH3 tells me that your level at that point is going to be quite high anyway as that is a mic level input on the XLR, so I would say you would need to keep that mixer level right down.

Failing that, if you are not using your effects loop, the send is at the same point as the balanced output, so what you could do is take the effects send into a DI with a normal guitar lead and then to the desk via XLR. At least you can use the pad in the DI to get the level down.

Other than that you can use a balanced in-line pad.

It looks to me like you could actually do everything you want just using the KB2. As CH3 is a mic input - use that for your harp mic and you still have the other channels for your keyboards etc. Start with your master around 7 and then bring your other levels up to where they need to be. That should give you a useable level at the balanced out for the desk.
Peter Richter
Brisbane Audio Services - Sound and Lighting for Any Event
Brisbane, Australia
http://www.brisbaneaudioservices.com.au