KB5 distortion

This forum is for talking about Peavey keyboard amplifiers.
noise10

KB5 distortion

Post by noise10 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:28 pm

I have a 2 year old KB5. I've never really had reason to pump up the volume until recently. My keyboards are set at 3/4 volume and the individual channels are between 10 and 11 o' clock. I get distortion when I take the master up to 2 o'clock. Even when the anti-distortion circuitry is enabled.

I've traveled with the older models of the Peavey kybd amps practically since their introduction and have never had a problem at any volume. Never.

So firstly I'm wondering if I'm doing anything wrong as far as dial and knob setup goes. The EQ's are pretty much flat, and I've tried lowering the kybd sliders and raising the channels - no difference.

(A bassist that I work with - who's also a sound engineer - swears that it's a crossover issue of some kind.)

Thanks.

N0YYM

Re: KB5 distortion

Post by N0YYM » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:30 am

Try turning the keyboard level all the way down, set the channel level around 2, set the master to 5. Now slowly raise the volume on the keyboard. If you get the keyboard up to 3/4 volume without distortion, and you think it should be louder, slowly turn up the channel level. If you begin to hear distortion while turning the keyboard up, stop and back it off a little below the distortion point, and turn up the channel level. If the channel level starts to cause distortion, set it a little below the distortion point, and turn up the master. Unless you have a good reason to disable it (I can't think of one), always leave the DDT enabled. This should get your gain struture in a usable range.
If that doesn't help your problem, it could be the switching contacts in the effect loop jacks need attention. There are many posts on this subject in the guitar amps section.
Hope this helps,
Johnny

noise10

Post by noise10 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:46 am

hey thanks! it seems to work on the gigs so far, but i'll know for sure this weekend when i have a high stage volume gig coming up. tweek tweek.....

GBK

Post by GBK » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:24 am

My problem is similar to KB5 as herein described.
Simply, when the intensity of the channel and the master at about 50-60% (60% master keyboard), I get a strange sound distortion.
When the channel reduce to some 30-40% of max, everything is ok?????
What's the problem? '?

The Toad

Post by The Toad » Sun May 05, 2019 12:35 pm

GBK did you ever get a reply. My KB5 has the same problem. It really can't handle the lower registers of the organ and synthesizers. I did all the volume things and it will disappear when the volume is down but I need to hear my self. I am looking at replacing the 10" speakers with something made for bass and lots of it.