Peavey Mark IV

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey bass amplifiers.
mesmer.eyes

Peavey Mark IV

Post by mesmer.eyes » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:30 pm

I recently acquired a 1980 Mark IV. It's a great amp! The ? I have refers to the two channel application. What is the purpose of driving two channels with only one input. I'm used to a two channel amp having separate channel inputs. The manual doesn't address it other than to describe the differences between the two channels signal processing. And why is one led green and the other red?

writer

Re: Peavey Mark IV

Post by writer » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi. I purchased a 1982 Mark IV yesterday. I have looked through the manual and have the same questions you have. Hope you get some answers. Later. rEd

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:41 pm

The footswitch would allow switching between them. Without the footswitch, you can turn down the post of the channel you don;t want to eliminate it.

However, the two channels can be set up differently, and running both combines them for a potentially more interesting or fuller tone.

And different colors? I don;t know. I would guess that from across the stage it makes it easier to tell which channel is lit.

mesmer.eyes

Post by mesmer.eyes » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:46 pm

Thanks Enzo, But I still wonder why both channel led's are all ways lit? It must be because without a foot switch booth channels default to on.
If so, the foot switch would be a real handy thing to have! Anybody know if it's true and if so where do you get one?

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:36 pm

Yes. absent the footswitch, the channels default to on. The FS is then a channel mute switch.

You can build a FS from the information in the schematic for the amp, or have PV parts make one for you.

rafter

Post by rafter » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:33 pm

Gents, I have been running one of these amps for bout 25 years. if you plug into the middle channel without the footswitch both leds will light and you will be running through both channels.

One suggestion i have with this amp is to take a patch cord out of the high out of the crossover and back into the power amp. (the patch bay on the front) then you are using the crossover, cut the crossover way down. any thing barely up from the bottom. this puts the power into the sweet spot instead of wasting it as just noise.

kevlarster

Post by kevlarster » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:21 pm

I have found that with the Graphic Eq and the bottom control's 'Paramid' & 'Shift' tweaked just right, some very nice sounds can be obtained. And as for Rafter's suggestion about the bi-amp back into the amp...that's sounds really nice, I'm definitely going to try it.

dalmatyn

Post by dalmatyn » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:25 am

I add third switch in my FS, that grounding both channels. Factory is a place made ​​for him. Enough to make a hole in the top plate.This is MUTE. :mrgreen:
Very helpful on stage. I connect tuner to efx out, and always I have a preview of the tuner.

Brewtrooper

Post by Brewtrooper » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:36 pm

I'm also looking to make my own switch for a Peavey Mark III Bass, Series 400BH with 99000103 Circuit Board and 6 Pin DIN connector plug. I'd like to make one like the original with just a Combiner switch and a Selector switch. The footswitch connect to the board with 3 wires - White, Blue, and Red. Can anyone with any help me with this? It would be greatly appreciated as I love this amp.

Thanks!

Brewtrooper

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:54 am

Look on your schematic, the footswitch wiring is on it, upper right. The three wires connect to the board over next to the Automix input jack. I have no idea what color wire did what. Determine that by the schematic, not by color.

Brewtrooper

Post by Brewtrooper » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:07 pm

Thank you so much Enzo. The problem is I cannot seem to locate the right schematic. I've determined that the center pin is the combiner, so I think that gives me what I need.

Thanks again!!

Ken

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:08 pm

Peavey customer service will send you any schematics you ask for.

But here:
PV Bass Mk4.pdf
(2.03 MiB) Downloaded 345 times