Peavey max 208 issues with cutting out

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey bass amplifiers.
justinblank

Peavey max 208 issues with cutting out

Post by justinblank » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:02 pm

I recent purchased a used MAX 208, everything worked out but at high volume it seems to cut out or momentarily turn off if I hit a lower string. Any ideas what might be wrong?

j0nsnell

Re: Peavey max 208 issues with cutting out

Post by j0nsnell » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:31 am

As this amplifier uses a digital (class D FM) amplifier, if it overloads it will momentarily cut out. Digital amplifiers don't like overloading.
Nice little basic amplifier, ideal for practice work as it has a sloping baffle to lift the sound reflections from your knee height to nearer your ears.

jim h

Post by jim h » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:00 pm

It isn't supposed to cut out with normal operation...even at high volume.

Does the power cut out or does the sound just go away? If the sound just stops, but the power stays on, then I would suspect a damaged speaker. If the speaker is trying to short, the amp would shut off to save itself.

Spacebass007

Post by Spacebass007 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:32 am

I just had the same issue. My Amp was on a di and not all that loud. Everytime I would start doing slap bass it would cutting out. It ruined the show as I couldn't use it. Just bought the thing a couple of months ago. Was embarrassing to say the least.

dak

Post by dak » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:13 pm

You don't get larger amplitudes than with slap bass. A tube amp saturates easily. A solid state amp clips easily. And, well, with the MAX208 the DDT circuitry will engage. The description actually does not sound like a class D amplifier to me, but the behavior when class B and class D max out is typically similar and DDT acts independently from that.

I use a digital accordion that has a whole bunch of different sounds. The one sound that is by wagonloads the most prone to buzzing (if not in the amp enclosure itself, then something lying on a table or the floor or in a cupboard) is slap bass.

Two 8" speakers have about the same area as one 12" speaker and typically less excursion and efficiency. The cabinet is ported which helps with low bass tones but muddies impulses like bass drum or, well, slap bass. So you tend to slap harder in order to offset the softening of the punch, and that is more likely to limit. The MAX208 is rated at 120W RMS power. Which is not to be sneezed at, but neither is it extraordinary, and if you were driving a 15" speaker, the same power would likely result in definitely larger loudness in the bass range (larger speakers tend to be more efficient at lower frequencies).

It would appear that this amp generation does not have a DDT LED. If it did, you'd probably see it light up quite a bit.

I consider it quite possible that the equipment is working as intended. Even if that seems disappointing.