What is this for?

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey bass amplifiers.
dak

Re: What is this for?

Post by dak » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:02 am

OldJohn wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:10 pm
Got one of those and been working on rebuilding it when I have time to spend on it. Ditched the amp board because the transistors are all obsolete and substituting is too much work. The original voltage regulator for the preamp is on the amp board and it was fried. Rail voltage is +/- 39/v so I have a Chinese amp board to replace it when I have the time.
The guy in charge of the dictionary would like to have a word with you about the meaning of "rebuilding". And yes, I am guilty myself of replacing blown TO-52 transistors by TO-220 ones (an anachronism by 10 years maybe) because I was too cheap to get more appropriate larger heat sinks for the former. But that's still a far cry from swapping in a Chinese amp board.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:09 pm

Oh I fel free to put more modern r more available parts in place of originals. But I am kinda amused that substituting modern transistor types is too much work, but replacing the entire innards isn't.

dak

Post by dak » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:36 pm

Enzo wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:09 pm
Oh I fel free to put more modern r more available parts in place of originals. But I am kinda amused that substituting modern transistor types is too much work, but replacing the entire innards isn't.
Well, if you count the solder points... But when replacing something with a typical lifetime of 25 years with something of a typical lifetime of 5 years, the number of solder points tends to even out. And the resale value of an amp with that kind of replacement is also dubious.

Though resale is sort of a bit of a red herring since looking at typical resale prices these days, it seems one would make a net profit by selling just the speaker and trashing the rest (assuming solid-state amps from 1970–2000ish). Pretty sick.