MiniMax No signal to speakers

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey bass amplifiers.
Chastao

MiniMax No signal to speakers

Post by Chastao » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:02 pm

Hello, (thought I already wrote this???)

I have a Peavy MiniMax 500W head that I have only used 2 times as a backup (that's what I bought it for). It is basically brand new.

When I went to use it the third time (after it had sat for 6 months) there is no signal going to the speakers.

The fan works and I can hear the bass through the headphone output. I tried several known-good speaker wires of all types (speakon, 1/4 phone ...)

nothing works ... have also tried pushing every button ...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Charlie

Enzo

Re: MiniMax No signal to speakers

Post by Enzo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:35 pm

SO you have not used it a lot? ANy chance you pushed the MUTE button and don't realize it?

I mean it, I am a tech with years of experience, and I once spent an hour trying to find why a MArshall amp made no sound, only to find it had a MUTE button I didn't know about.

Chastao

Post by Chastao » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:50 pm

I'm not above doing something like that ( e.g. is it plugged in?) That was my thought too ... it has to be something simple (and maybe stupid) ... but so far no answers

... Answer: No, I tried cycling every button on the amp including mute... heard differences through the phones, but still no signal to the speakers. Thought maybe someone here might have run into the same issue. Next step will be to take it to the repair shop. Should have rung it out more when I first got it ... now it's a year and a half old and it only worked twice ... feels like Peavy should step up and fix it.

Haven't had good luck with amps ... I got it because my MarkBass head needed repair and I got sick of lugging my GK 800RB to gigs. Didn't trust the MarkBass any more so I was looking for a small powerhouse as a backup.

-Charlie

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:34 pm

It is like new? DId you buy it new? SO would it still be under warranty?

"No sound" is a rather generic complaint about amps, it could be so many things. COuld be simple, could be internal speaker fuse?

Chastao

Post by Chastao » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:55 am

Yes I bought it new, but (as I said above) bought as a backup in case my primary amp failed ... so I only used it twice in over a year ... went to use it for a third time and no sound. Tried different cables (speakon and phone plugs) and different speakers. It still looks brand new still has all the original stickers, etc... not a ding or scratch on it.
Enzo wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:34 pm
It is like new? DId you buy it new? SO would it still be under warranty?

"No sound" is a rather generic complaint about amps, it could be so many things. COuld be simple, could be internal speaker fuse?

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:36 pm

Don't care how or why you used it as you do, but if it is under warranty, that is what warranties are for. Get the amp to an authorized peavey repair shop. They will ask to see your bill of sale - we call that "proof of purchase".

Chastao

Post by Chastao » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:28 am

Enzo wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:36 pm
Don't care how or why you used it as you do, but if it is under warranty, that is what warranties are for. Get the amp to an authorized peavey repair shop. They will ask to see your bill of sale - we call that "proof of purchase".
Thanks Enzo ... I was hoping to find someone here who had a similar experience and might have some insight into the problem. That being said, your explanation of what "proof of purchase" means was very helpful.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:24 pm

When I buy new stuff I keep receipts in a file. But if you didn't keep a copy of your bill of sale, many if not most retailers will have it on file and can generate a new copy for you.

Chastao

Post by Chastao » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 am

Good news and bad news ...
Brought it to the Peavy repair guy and he ran diagnostics on the circuit board ... etc ... found nothing wrong ... then he put it back together and it worked! Gave it back with only a nominal charge since he didn't actually fix anything ... this amp is not a viable backup ...