Peavy combo 115 stops working

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey bass amplifiers.
stonknod

Peavy combo 115 stops working

Post by stonknod » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:29 am

Hey everyone, new to the board but hoping to learn. My old bass player left me a combo 115 that was working great. After a few years of sitting I went to use it and it's not working. It will trun on and give me some sound for about 10-15 seconds then just goes quiet. Turning it off and back on does not make it work again.

I know nothing about amps but I'm thinking it could be a capacitor. I considered bringing it to a shop but it's so heavy, I don't have a car that will fit it and I'd rather do the repair if I can handle it.

If anyone has an idea of what this could be I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Enzo

Re: Peavy combo 115 stops working

Post by Enzo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:35 pm

A cap? WHy would you decide that?

Most likely in my mind, an insert jack or a FX return or power amp in jack.

stonknod

Post by stonknod » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:01 pm

Enzo wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:35 pm
A cap? WHy would you decide that?

Most likely in my mind, an insert jack or a FX return or power amp in jack.
Thanks for your reply. I was honestly just guessing. Can you elaborate on the insert jack, fx return or power amp in jack? I don't know what that means. Sorry

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:37 pm

Those type jacks have cutout contacts inside, and if those contacts get electrically dirty, the signal sometimes can't get past them.

Next time this all happens, don't touch anything, but plug a spare plug in and out of those jacks a time or two, and listen each time to see if the sound was affected. It MIGHT just need cleaner sprayed into the jack.

stonknod

Post by stonknod » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:41 am

Thanks so much Enzo! I am going to try that today. I hadn't checked my replys in a few days so I'm sorry I missed this suggestion. I did remove the head in the meantime just to see if there was anything super obvious. I can't see anything blown up but the bottom rear behind the heat sink looks like something went wrong. There's some dark dried grease looking stuff. I uploaded them if you or anyone else could investigate. https://imgur.com/a/ZiRvYIx