MiniMax

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey bass amplifiers.
Arplato

MiniMax

Post by Arplato » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:20 pm

I just got the Peavey MiniMax bass head today after waiting for it to come off backorder for the last two months. I was really excited to play it, and have always loved Peavey stuff, but was very disappointed by how loud the cooling fan is. Anyone else have this issue? Not sure if this is by design, or if the one I got is defective. I'm planning on returning it as the fan is just too loud when I am not playing for my taste. :|

Arplato

Re: MiniMax

Post by Arplato » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:20 am

I just got off the phone with "Roger" from Customer Support. Basically, there's nothing that can be done about this excessively loud cooling fan (louder than any amp - tube or solid state - that I've ever played or owned). He said I could look into buying an aftermarket fan, but that Peavey does not consider this a problem, and won't do anything about it since it's not "noticeable once you're playing". As an avid Peavey "fan", I am very disappointed by this outcome. :x

petetexas1

Post by petetexas1 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:13 am

I have just purchased a MiniMax 500 , and I agree the cooling fan is loud . But I have done two gigs over the weeklend . and I must agree with Peavey . in a band situation , you cannot hear the noisy fan .
This Peavey was purchased as a backup for my Marknass Ninja , but the sound I have had for these two gigs means that the Peavey will be my main head .
I used it with two 2x10 Markbass cabs , and the volume was loud , ( we have a very loud drummer and two loud guitarists ) it kept up with them with no problem .
Pete

petetexas1

Post by petetexas1 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:41 am

Hi all ,

I have been messing about with the "noisey" fan , and believe that it is not at fault . I removed the fan from the mounting , and hung it
outside the chassis , and it runs silent !I believe the noise of the air being drawn through the "mesh pattern" on the outside of the chassis makes it sound noisey ( the lid going back on top , seems to amplify the sound )
I have put 4 spacers between the fan body and the chassis , thus allowing air to be drawn in around the sides as well as the "mesh
pattern" , and it is a lot quieter .
Thinking that maybe the amp is not getting enough outside cool air in with this mod , I have run the unit for 6 hours , NO OVERHEATING .

Pete

Filkybavarian

Post by Filkybavarian » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:33 pm

How did you get the amp open to try the fan on the outside?

davidg25

Post by davidg25 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:28 pm

petetexas1 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:41 am
Hi all ,

I have been messing about with the "noisey" fan , and believe that it is not at fault . I removed the fan from the mounting , and hung it
outside the chassis , and it runs silent !I believe the noise of the air being drawn through the "mesh pattern" on the outside of the chassis makes it sound noisey ( the lid going back on top , seems to amplify the sound )
I have put 4 spacers between the fan body and the chassis , thus allowing air to be drawn in around the sides as well as the "mesh
pattern" , and it is a lot quieter .
Thinking that maybe the amp is not getting enough outside cool air in with this mod , I have run the unit for 6 hours , NO OVERHEATING .

Pete
Thanks for that. It's not difficult, and saved me a LOT of trouble otherwise !!

Cheers,
dave