Peavey Max 112

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey bass amplifiers.
rtslinger

Peavey Max 112

Post by rtslinger » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:40 am

I have one question, that doesn't get addressed in the owners manual, but is very important when setting up your bass amp. You mention it has a gain control , but you do not mention a peak or clip light? Anytime I set up a bass amp the first thing I do is turn the volume all the way down and then play my hardest while bringing up the gain and when I get a flash from the peak or clip light I back off a little and then I know I won't be clipping out during a show. How do you set the gain on this amp and where is the clip light? Thanks RTSlinger bassist 40+ years

Enzo

Re: Peavey Max 112

Post by Enzo » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:21 am

Just my opinion, but I think you are being overly cautious. Most Peavey amps do not clip, they use the DDT circuit or something similar, so anything that would have clipped gets limited instead. Generally the gain control is used to set the amount of drive you want, then the master or volume control sets how loud it is. it is OK to have the peak light blinking while you play. Bass is very spiky

rtslinger

Post by rtslinger » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:37 am

Thanks for your response I play in a band that works through and Entertainment agency so people pay good money to have me perform at there events, I ask this question because as a professional I can not have my amp clipping out during a performance. I just found it unusual that a amp with a gain control had no information on how to set up the gain control. I have played many amps some with just volume and no gain, but most with both gain and volume are set up as I had mention in my OP.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:33 am

But that was the point, it WON'T clip. In practice, turn it up so the light blinks a LOT. You won't hear it clip. That is the limiter function in the amp in action. yes clipping is an assault to the ears, that is why their amps all have the limiter feature.

And also while practicing, consider my description: Turn the gain up to the desired drive level, and use the master or volume to set the loudness.

rtslinger

Post by rtslinger » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:03 pm

Okay got a new issue recently my EQ buttons are staying down anyone else run into this problem?

rtslinger

Re: Peavey Max 115

Post by rtslinger » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:34 am

So I have a max115 now as well problem with the two buttons loud hum when punch or pat button is on? Anyone else have this issue?
It doesn’t do it when you use the headphones