TNT130 bass amp cuts out

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey bass amplifiers.
Phustercluck

TNT130 bass amp cuts out

Post by Phustercluck » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:25 am

Hello.
I'm brand new to the forum. I've seen similar issues but not the same as this. My amp randomly cuts out. Sometimes as soon as I turn it on, sometimes after several minutes. I've turned all the knobs, pulled out the "punch" & "bright" knobs and turned them as well. Some of them scratch a little, but it's obviously not the issue at hand. (I hear the scratching sound but no guitar). I have also switched inputs, twisted and wiggled the jack, even reassured that both sides of the wires to the speaker have good contact. The only way I can fix it is to turn the volumes way up, and give the strings a sharp, quick smack. At that point I'll have a random amount of time with clear, great sound.
BTW, there is no hum during the "down time".
It's acting like there's a dirty potentiometer, but like it's inside one of the components.
Any ideas? :)

Enzo

Re: TNT130 bass amp cuts out

Post by Enzo » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:13 pm

I would wager my lunch money that your POWER AMP IN jack is the issue. Plug a spare guitar cord from PREAMP OUT to POWER AMP IN. Does that make it work. If so you can run it that way as long as you like. Inside, I'd check the solder under that jack. Or the jack might need replacement.

If you just want to test, when the sound dies, poke a plug in and out of that jack a couple times, does that wake it up?