Peavey Musician 400 Series Guitar/Bass Amplifier

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
J Morris

Peavey Musician 400 Series Guitar/Bass Amplifier

Post by J Morris » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:58 pm

Hi all ?
I just joined and was wondering if anyone had info of the wiring diagram or the foot switch itself for my 1973 Peavey Musician 400 Guitar/Bass 210 watt 2 ohm rated amp head with the 3 pin Din connector for the cable connection? It is a 4 wire deal with Red, White, Black wires going to the board and a bare ground wire being the fourth wire.
Seems rare as I have gotten know where with Peavey or anywhere else and I would like to get the wiring diagram to just build my own.
If anyone can help direct me that would be great.
Thanks all.

studiodtk5

Re: Peavey Musician 400 Series Guitar/Bass Amplifier

Post by studiodtk5 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:40 am

I do not have it, but it shouldn’t be hard to figure out.

I have the BASS amp from that era, not the musician, so I can’t help directly by checking Mine.

First thing to do is use a multimeter set on volts and check the voltage on each pin. Use the ground wire connector as the common terminal.

After you have this information use a jumper wire and jumper each terminal to ground (common connection). The amp switching internal should change functions.

I’m pretty certain these will be maintained switches and not momentary switches. But you can test this by touching the contacts with the jumper wire and releasing. If the function changes and stays on the changed function with a momentary plus, then use a momentary switch. If the function quickly changes between functions, then leave the jumper wire in place. If the function changes and stays while the jumper is present, then you need a maintained switch.

If you need more help, just post the results of the test and I will sketch up a schematic for you.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:04 am

If you don't have a multimeter Pull the chassis out far enough to see the back side of the jack and look at which pins are used. Then use a jumper wire like studiotdk5 suggested.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

j0nsnell

Post by j0nsnell » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:13 am

I have a schematic for the 400 series foot switch if that helps.
squashedmusician foot switch.jpg
squashedmusician foot switch.jpg (14.74 KiB) Viewed 1157 times