Studio Pro 112

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Marauder332

Studio Pro 112

Post by Marauder332 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:39 pm

I bought this little amp from an individual, and discovered later that when I power it down, there's a loud POP. This kind of makes it unsuitable for playing in my church. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, were you able to repair it and how?
Thanks in advance ...

Pappy B

Re: Studio Pro 112

Post by Pappy B » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:29 am

I've had Peavey amps that did the Pop on shutdown. It always went away after recaping and diode change out. I cant tell you which cap was the culprit. In the meantime, I always turn the volume, gain and reverb knobs to zero before shutting down. Usually helps.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

dak

Post by dak » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:39 am

Don't have the schematics for this one, but Peavey often has some FET with some capacitors and transistors around that clamps down on the power amp when powering on and off. The capacitors around that automatic kill-switch could be involved, or it is just one of the main power caps that is affected such that the voltage disappears quite unevenly on positive and negative rails.

Some smaller amps I had have an inordinate amount of pop, but those don't have symmetric power supply to start with, so it's sort of impossible for them to go quietly: the DC-blocked speaker output just has to from something like 8V down to 0V before the output capacitor and that's not really feasible without a pop.

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:46 am

Making sure the last notes have completely decayed will befor hitting the switch will help.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.