Cleaning Pots on my Stereo Chorus 400

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
lcsjim

Cleaning Pots on my Stereo Chorus 400

Post by lcsjim » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:10 pm

So I am brand new to this forum. I have a Stereo Chorus 400 that I got from a friend. The pots are noisy, the amp plays nice but when you turn most of the individual pots, there's a lot of noise. I put the amp out of the cabinet and see that there's a board attached. Do I need to take of the knobs and turn every nut to separate the board/pots from the front panel to get tho the opening of the pots or can I just spray down into the shafts. Is there anything I need to be careful of? thanks for your expertise.
Lcsjim

Pappy B

Re: Cleaning Pots on my Stereo Chorus 400

Post by Pappy B » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:49 am

To get the circuit board out of the chassis you have to remove knobs and nuts. But you should be able to clean the pots and jacks without do that. On the top back side of the nuts there is usually some small openings that you can spray into. You can also hold the chassis on one side and spray into the opening around the legs. And you can also spray down the shafts. Try them all, find what works best. When done, make sure you clean off the residue that leaks out onto the board. You can find youtube videos on cleaning pots. You might get some helpful info there.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.