Changing tubes in Peavey 6505, need to know some basics

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Kokos

Changing tubes in Peavey 6505, need to know some basics

Post by Kokos » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:40 am

Hi all!

I think it's a time to change tubes for the first time in my Peavey 6505. So I wonder whether simply put JJ's 12AX7 and 6L6GC in there or have I other options affecting the sound?

I know JJ makes "MG" variant for preamp tube so there are more mid-gain, but to be honest I don't even know what are the basics of affecting the tone using specific tubes combination. Is there any guide for it or you could guide me?

Thanks!
K

Dorion

Re: Changing tubes in Peavey 6505, need to know some basics

Post by Dorion » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:49 pm

If you're not having any issues with the amp you shouldn't need to change out the tubes unless you want to for whatever reason. If you like the way your amp sounds now make a list of the brand of tubes and which order they're in and purchase accordingly. I use JJ preamp and power tubes. To my ears, they give a warmer sound. Also, they were recommended by a well-known amp builder. He stated, in his opinion, the JJ's are best tubes for the 5150/6505 amps. I would suggest buying a few tubes from different brands and do a little experimenting. You might find a sound that really works for you. And don't throw away your old tubes. You can use them as backups. Good luck!

WrldEatr9

Post by WrldEatr9 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:34 am

You'd have to know the functions of each pre-amp tube. V1 is probably going to make the most difference since it affects everything. But it's not like X-brand is going to give you this sound and Y brand is going to give you that sound. You can lower gain with other tubes in the 12AX7 family. With the price of tubes these days, you'd be spending a lot of money for very little difference.

I assume one can change power tubes to a different but related kind with re-biasing. Although I haven't heard much about this when it comes the 6505 though.

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:23 pm

Something that I have learned the hard way about pulling/replacing tubes in the many radio's I've worked on over the years is do not wiggle the tubes from side to side. It can break solder joints on the underside of the sockets and it can cause pin damage inside the tube. Pull straight up and push straight down on the base of the tube.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.