Classic 412E Replacement switch/Input + Wiring Diagram?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
PyschRockLover

Classic 412E Replacement switch/Input + Wiring Diagram?

Post by PyschRockLover » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:04 pm

Hello everyone.
I recently Purchased a Classic 412E cab from GC online.
To my surprise the cab came missing some parts from the back panel. Specifically the mono/stereo switch and right jack(right 8ohm/output 16ohm). I got the straight cab verison and want to keep it. Does anyone know where I can find replacement parts? Also, I will probably need to re-wire the speakers.. does anyone have access to the Wiring Diagram? thanks

studiodtk5

Re: Classic 412E Replacement switch/Input + Wiring Diagram?

Post by studiodtk5 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:14 pm

How do you want to use the speaker cabinet?

I have always found the stereo mono switch unnecessary with how I use speaker cabinets. But it depends on how you use the cabinet.

Rarely do I use the jack to parallel another speaker cabinet. I usually use it to connect another amplifier. Because of this I just use a switch jack. One jack is mono, plug in the second and the cabinet is stereo.

What speakers and impedance are the speakers? That will change the wiring sketch.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

PyschRockLover

Post by PyschRockLover » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:28 pm

studiodtk5 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:14 pm
How do you want to use the speaker cabinet?

I have always found the stereo mono switch unnecessary with how I use speaker cabinets. But it depends on how you use the cabinet.

Rarely do I use the jack to parallel another speaker cabinet. I usually use it to connect another amplifier. Because of this I just use a switch jack. One jack is mono, plug in the second and the cabinet is stereo.

What speakers and impedance are the speakers? That will change the wiring sketch.
Well I'm currently using it with my Sovtek Mig100 which one takes 8ohm or 4 ohm speakers, but I would like it with my Peavey VTM120.
Another reason why I purchased it was the 16ohm option, which I could use my Marshal 1960b cab in parallel or whatever to use with my Sovtek. Since the marshal is from he 80s and doesn't have an impedance switch I would have to link them for an 8ohm load.

They're 1230 Sheffields wired for an 8ohm load. Someone went inside the cab and did some terrible things.. IDK why anyone would remove the switch and input jack... to make it less versatile? Doesn't make sense to me.. but I would really like to get this thing close to stock.. any ideas? I would just need a new switch, speaker jack and wiring diagram. OR I can just return it.. I have 30 days.. btw I purchased it for 423, which included shipping.

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:17 am

Can you upload a picture of what the input jack plate looks like? Front and back will be helpful.

I just want to make sue what parts are on it and what parts are missing.

As long as you can solder wire, it won’t be a problem to return to stock.
Darren

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

PyschRockLover

Post by PyschRockLover » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:33 pm

studiodtk5 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:17 am
Can you upload a picture of what the input jack plate looks like? Front and back will be helpful.

I just want to make sue what parts are on it and what parts are missing.

As long as you can solder wire, it won’t be a problem to return to stock.

I uploaded four pictures. Some chicanery definitely went on.
Heres the pictures. One of the back panel.. you can see the missing switch and input jack
Next one is the speaker wiring..
third is of the input jack wiring
and the last one is one of the speaker wiring, seems like it was poorly done.

This cab is reading 8ohm from the single input jack and all 4 speakers are active. IDK much about cabs but I didn't know you were able to wiring 4 16 ohm speakers into a single 8 ohm load
Attachments
BACK PANEL.jpg
BACK PANEL.jpg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 5688 times
wiring.jpg
wiring.jpg (4.46 MiB) Viewed 5688 times
input jack wiring.jpg
input jack wiring.jpg (4.1 MiB) Viewed 5688 times
sus speaker wiring.jpg
sus speaker wiring.jpg (4.97 MiB) Viewed 5688 times

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:01 am

That’s a bit odd. All four speakers are wired in parallel. At 16 ohm each, that should read 4 ohms as a combination.

I will sketch up the OEM version later today and upload it.
Darren

PyschRockLover

Post by PyschRockLover » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:25 pm

studiodtk5 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:01 am
That’s a bit odd. All four speakers are wired in parallel. At 16 ohm each, that should read 4 ohms as a combination.

I will sketch up the OEM version later today and upload it.
Yeh, it's a bit weird. I'm measuring it at my speaker cable and I doubled checked it today.. reads 7-8ohms lol... Unless i'm doing something wrong?
Kinda worries me TBH lol..
Could a poor connection between the cable and jack cause this?

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:10 pm

A couple of open voice coils would make it approximately 8 ohms. But, 16 ohms is the speaker impedance, not an actual ohm reading. I doubt that measured individually any of those speakers measure exactly 16 ohms. If the wiring connections are good and the speakers are all working properly I wouldn't worry about it if you intend to change the setup anyway.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:02 pm

It is very true the speakers may not be 16 ohm. I would check them individually before changing any wiring.

I do not have this speaker cabinet. So I cannot be certain that the Switchcraft 50209LX Switch that I indicate using in the schematic is correct. You will have to measure the switch and the holes that you have available in the connector plate.

Schematic for the Stereo/Mono with switch is attached. As well as the Switchcraft switch details.
Attachments
Guitar Speaker Cabinet 4x12 Schematic with Switch 2023-02-08.pdf
(912.49 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
Switchcraft 50209lx.pdf
(91.14 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Darren

PyschRockLover

Post by PyschRockLover » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:32 am

studiodtk5 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:02 pm
It is very true the speakers may not be 16 ohm. I would check them individually before changing any wiring.

I do not have this speaker cabinet. So I cannot be certain that the Switchcraft 50209LX Switch that I indicate using in the schematic is correct. You will have to measure the switch and the holes that you have available in the connector plate.

Schematic for the Stereo/Mono with switch is attached. As well as the Switchcraft switch details.
:shock: thank you sooo much! man, you're a life saver! Doesn't look too complicated of a job. I just want to clarify that I do intend to make this cab as close to stock as possible, but i'm wondering how that is going to work if the speakers are 8 ohm..lmaooo.

Is there a way to test the impendence while all the speakers are connected together, ?

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:47 pm

Before you attempt a re-wire, disconnect all of the speakers and check each speaker individually with a resistance meter. They should all be nominally the same.

If you find that they are 8 ohm instead of the 16 ohm that is listed, then the re-wire that I drew out will be 4 ohm and 8 ohm instead of 8 ohm and 16 ohm respectively.

If that doesn’t work for you, then a new schematic would have to be sketched with the parallel and series combination flipped. Meaning the set of speakers in stereo would be run in series (16 ohm connected) and then combination for mono in parallel (8 ohm connected). If that makes any sense.
Darren

drewski

Post by drewski » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:14 am

I don't have this cabinet exactly, but I do have the classic 412ES. I believe the difference is the tweed cloth on mine but please correct me if someone knows better. My cab is from 1998 but the copyright year on the pcb is 1991 if those dates are helpful. The switch mentioned above is not the correct switch for my cab as mine has a 4 pole. Though I cannot confirm if the 412e version had the same exact wiring and the previous post switch and diagram may work just fine for your cab. This is the correct switch that is in my cab as far as I can tell: https://www.switchcraft.com/4pdt-locking/50212lx/

As for the wiring, I don't have a diagram but I can show you the PCB with obvious traces and the cab wiring as from the factory:

Hope this new info is also helpful.

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:02 am

That is interesting. When I was doing that diagram I started with the 4 pole switch. As I worked through it I found no reason for it so I changed to the 3 pole.
If you have the original pcb, then you will need the 4 pole switch.
Thanks for the update.
Darren