Peavey Masterpiece Effect Loop issue

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Sparky

Peavey Masterpiece Effect Loop issue

Post by Sparky » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:39 pm

I have a couple questions about the Masterpiece 50 amp I just purchased and thought it might be best to keep them in separate topics. My question here: when I engage the effects loop via the button on the foot switch, there is an immediate drop in volume, and a loss of treble. Is this normal?

studiodtk5

Re: Peavey Masterpiece Effect Loop issue

Post by studiodtk5 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:11 pm

I haven’t been using the amp lately and never used the effects loop much. I will have to check and let you know.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:58 pm

Thanks.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:11 pm

I'm including this explanation for anyone else who may have similar questions in the future.

The foot switch that came with the amp is a 2 button unit: one button labeled "Select", and another labeled "Effects". The "Select" button switches between clean and dirty channels. On versions of the amp that came with reverb, I'm guessing the "effects" button would turn the reverb on and off. My amp does not have reverb, and based on the button label, I thought it would switch the effects loop in and out. Nope, the "effects" button switches the boost on and off. That's why I heard a drop in volume and treble when I used it.

interesting note on the effects loop. If the signal is coming only from the loop, that is, no guitar signal is going into the front input, then the volume controls on the amp make no difference. So, you can bypass all the volume and tone controls and use the amp as a power amp, controlling the volume by the amount of signal sent into the effects return.