Peavey Bandit 112-need help troubleshooting

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
newuser696

Peavey Bandit 112-need help troubleshooting

Post by newuser696 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:12 pm

HI all, bought a teal stripe bandit 112 today for next to nothing, guys said the pots crackled, needed cleaning, sure no big deal. got it home and at first all i got was a terrible crackling crunchy farting sound that cut in and out, figured blown speaker. moved the whole thing around abit checked out this and that gave it another go, no more issue with the speaker i think as it appears to work but with the "volume"/normal turned all the way down its just massive feedback like ive never heard before, cant turn the normal/volume up past 1. been playing guitar since 1993, have a degree in audio engineering but this amp is quite strange, beginning with a "normal instead of volume pot...

Anyways, i'd love to get this amp proper but cant find any troubleshooting steps anywhere, i was going to start with getting some deoxit into the pots but if thats makes no change where should i start to try and figure out why theres such crazy feedback a 1? any help is greatly appreciated!

Pappy B

Re: Peavey Bandit 112-need help troubleshooting

Post by Pappy B » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:21 pm

Before trouble shooting I always use a contact cleaner spray. Makes it easier to locate a problem when you don't have to fight dirty pots and contacts.

Pull the chassis and clean all the pots, jacks, switches, unplug any connectors (one at a time) and clean both ends. Clean both ends of the cable connecting the reverb tank and the jacks in the tank, speaker wire connectors. Some of the jacks have little switch contacts in them, they need cleaned.

I always remove the opamps and clean the legs and sockets. If you do, be careful the legs bend easy and make sure they are put back in pointed in the same direction they came out.

While you have the chassis pulled, look for bad/loose solder joints. You should be able to fire it up with the chassis pulled but the speaker connected. Use a wood or plastic probe, like a chop stick, and do some poking around on the legs to the pots, electrolytic capacitor and such. Just don't get rough with them. You may find a loose connection.

This is kind of long winded but this is what I do before getting into trouble shooting for the problem.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

newuser696

Post by newuser696 » Thu May 11, 2023 8:38 am

completed those steps, now the effects return is shorted out a month later. also replaced the clean channel volume pot and it worked perfectly for about a day, now the same issue. turning the pot from 0 up results in a click sound like its turning on, barely usabale volome and then..1000000% VOLUME!!!!!

Even the gain channel, there is no way in my house i can turn it past 9 oclock. Still baffled by this volume issue on the clean channel though, and can't find any help anywhere. what would cause this to happen considering its a brand new pot? the old one had a clearly bad solder joint and was itself a replacement so i think the volume issue was existing for quite some time.

any additional help is appreciated, this issue must have happened to someone else at some point

dak

Post by dak » Sun May 14, 2023 11:54 am

newuser696 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:38 am
completed those steps, now the effects return is shorted out a month later. also replaced the clean channel volume pot and it worked perfectly for about a day, now the same issue. turning the pot from 0 up results in a click sound like its turning on, barely usabale volome and then..1000000% VOLUME!!!!!

Even the gain channel, there is no way in my house i can turn it past 9 oclock. Still baffled by this volume issue on the clean channel though, and can't find any help anywhere. what would cause this to happen considering its a brand new pot?
Soldering too hot and burning the track or breaking the track because of mounting under tension. Don't see too many other options. Check that the pot track has continuity if you can easily measure it.

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Tue May 16, 2023 9:42 pm

Did you replace the pot with a 10KB - linear? A 10KA - Audio (logarithm) would act the way you describe.

As far as a shorted efects return you would have to look at the jack to see if it's bent or touching something inside. Or broken wires.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

Smoothie999

Post by Smoothie999 » Sun May 28, 2023 10:19 am

Dak. You didn’t happen to sell your amp to a pawn shop in Dunedin FL did you? Because if you did I bought it yesterday lol. And it’s doing everything you said. I did the Arthur fonzerelli and something is loose. Ima bout to go look inside and hopefully fix the situation

CharlieP

Post by CharlieP » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:14 am

Smoothie999 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 10:19 am
Dak. You didn’t happen to sell your amp to a pawn shop in Dunedin FL did you? Because if you did I bought it yesterday lol. And it’s doing everything you said. I did the Arthur fonzerelli and something is loose. Ima bout to go look inside and hopefully fix the situation
Ayyyyyy!
Charlie
Gib LP Robot 2008 Met. Red, , 5E3 Build 2014
Fend Tele Dlx2010 SPL ED w/Tron Tune
3rd Build 6G3 Br. Deluxe Head 2018
VK 112 Web OT Rotary Swit. Bias Mod
Gret. G2622 P90s,G2655T, G5034, Pro Jet, Epi WildKat 2019

dak

Post by dak » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:50 am

Smoothie999 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 10:19 am
Dak. You didn’t happen to sell your amp to a pawn shop in Dunedin FL did you? Because if you did I bought it yesterday lol. And it’s doing everything you said.
Oh, my Bandit has never been more than a mythical beast: it was someone other than me who reported their problems with their amp. I merely speculated on some possible causes, without ever cradling a Bandit in my arms. Yet.