SS Rage 158 Volume Pot

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
schnitzelhaus

Re: SS Rage 158 Volume Pot

Post by schnitzelhaus » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:01 am

dak wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:55 am
Well, swapping wiper and upper end of the pot would have about the effect you talk about.
Does this mean that I should swap the left and right wires on the pot (I’m pretty sure that the center post is ground)?

dak

Post by dak » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:40 am

schnitzelhaus wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:01 am
dak wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:55 am
Well, swapping wiper and upper end of the pot would have about the effect you talk about.
Does this mean that I should swap the left and right wires on the pot (I’m pretty sure that the center post is ground)?
The center pin in the PCB layout clearly is the wiper, and it would be quite an unusual pot where the wiper is anywhere but on the center pin.

schnitzelhaus

Post by schnitzelhaus » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:31 am

dak wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:40 am
The center pin in the PCB layout clearly is the wiper, and it would be quite an unusual pot where the wiper is anywhere but on the center pin.
Thanks, dak.

It's going to be next week before I can get back to this, But either the center pin is ground, or I tested it incorrectly. I'll grant that the latter is likely.

Here’s what I did.
First, I connected the left pin to ground, and couldn’t get continuity through either of the other two pins, regardless of the position of the knob.

When I used the center pin as ground, and tested the left lead, with the knob turned fully counterclockwise, I got continuity. Same on the right pin / knob fully clockwise. No continuity on either pin with the knob at the midpoint.

Did I test it incorrectly?

dak

Post by dak » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:37 pm

I have no idea what you mean by "continuity", and a broken track will still check as connecting the wiper to the other pins in the extreme positions. How do you measure "continuity"? Do you have anything that will give you a better indication than "continuity"? When trying to figure out why your pot does not provide a continuity of values, only being able to measure the extreme positions is of limited usefulness.

bhuttehai

Post by bhuttehai » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:33 am

I did try a second 1M pot after I had trouble with the first, but they were from the same package, so I guess could be a bad batch (they were Amazon cheapies).
hellodear.in

teatv download