Backstage Chorus 208

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
dadroadie

Backstage Chorus 208

Post by dadroadie » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:46 am

Hi to all,
I wanted one of the Peavey Chorus amps for quite some time and was finally able to get one at a decent price. I plan on using it at jam sessions when old friends stop by using it for my Acoustic electric and electric guitar playing folk rock material like Buffalo Springfield,Eagles etc. We don't play at high volumes and I really like the size and weight. Anyone in the forum using this model? Anything to watch out for service wise? Right now I know it needs a lot of the pots cleaned.Any suggestions or reviews would be appreciated.
Regards dadroadie

JamesPaul

Re: Backstage Chorus 208

Post by JamesPaul » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:08 am

I do not own one, but there are Members here who do. They should be stopping by.

If you do not already have the Operating Guide, it is available here.

https://assets.peavey.com/literature/ma ... 301254.pdf

It could be up to 28 years old, so you are on the right path to clean all the pots. You should clean all jacks and switches as well.

If you pull the chassis to clean pots/switches, you can visually check the power/filter capacitors for bulges or leaks. No signs does not guarantee they are good, but bulging/leaking caps should be replaced. These caps are likely top candidates to watch out for in the future, service wise.

Other than the above, I would just play it and enjoy it. My Decade from the mid-80's is still going strong. I had one rectifier diode fail around 2000, but that has been the only thing.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.