Peavey ED-100 Output Volume Cuts In Half

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
DayWatcher77

Peavey ED-100 Output Volume Cuts In Half

Post by DayWatcher77 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:02 am

Hey 'erbody! I have a ED-100 Electric Drum amp and after a bit of playing the output volume drops to like half or quarter orrrr I dunno, I have no way of measuring it, I just know the output volume drops considerably. My first thought was the output transistors, anybody have any ideas? Thank you in advance for all advice. Have an awesome day!

JamesPaul

Re: Peavey ED-100 Output Volume Cuts In Half

Post by JamesPaul » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:01 pm

Welcome to the forum.

It could be any number of things causing the volume drop. I am not familiar with the ED-100. Someone who is should be along.

In the interim, my usual first step for any odd volume or tone issues is to get a cable, spray some Deoxit on the plug, and then plug/unplug it a few times, in every jack on the amp. Respray before each jack.

After that, I would try to isolate preamp or power amp issue. If your amp has a Preamp Out/Effects Send and Power Amp In/Effects Return, try connecting the Preamp Output of your ED-100 to the Power Amp In of another known good amplifier. If good, you have a power amp issue. If not, connect the Preamp Output of the known good amplifier, to the Power Amp In. If this is good, you have a preamp issue.

At this point, I would probably pull the chassis and spray all the pots with Deoxit, turning them back and forth a few times.

If the issue still persists, it is Tech Time or start troubleshooting if you work on your own amps.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:28 pm

Could be a thermal problem. If you pull the chassis and do the cleaning that James \Paul suggests look for signs of heat discoloration. Look for bulges on the ends of electrolytic caps and look for resistors that look like they got too hot.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

Nifty

Post by Nifty » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:59 pm

I am going through this now. Peavey Deuce, made in 1979, BW speakers, but it's really clean. When UPS delivered it, I was thinking it looks new. No blemishes, scratches, or anything.

The volume one day just faded. So I replaced the tubes because it still had the originals, thinking that was the problem. It was good for a few days.

Then one night, about an hour into playing, volume starts to drop. Then silence. It wasn't immediate, it just slowly dropped over a period of maybe 30 - 60 sec. I powered down, then back up. Another ten minutes and it went down again. I disconnected from my pedal board and went from guitar straight to amp - and used a different input jack. Same thing but this time it took maybe 15 minutes. All in all, totally random almost. I'm starting to think this is why the last owner sold it.

There's a tech nearby and I took it to him. He said it could be one of a half dozen things but thinks he can isolate it this week.

What I failed to do, and wish I had done, was plug in another guitar and tested with that. The tech is a really nice guy and I just dont want to waste his time.

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:48 am

Just my opinion but that doesn't sound like a guitar issue. Sounds like a heat related problem.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

Nifty

Post by Nifty » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:47 pm

Update

The tech ran something through the amp for almost a whole day and no failure. (as in the volume going down by itself). He said he's going to open it up now.

Tubes and capacitors were already replaced this year.

So I guess the madness begins. I just dont look forward to hauling that thing up and down the stairs.

Nifty

Post by Nifty » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:46 pm

I have an update. The tech thinks he found the problem. Its a connection that, when barely touched, kills the sound. It has to be physically manipulated. And being the problem appeared "randomly", we think even a vibration would trigger it too. I will post exactly what and where when I pick it up. He ordered a new part.

Nifty

Issue found and resolved

Post by Nifty » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:52 pm

This was a tough nut to crack. I let the tech keep the amp for over a month. He was backed up with work for working musicians and told me it would be a while before he could dive into it. He did feed a signal through it for an entire day and it never cut out. We started to think the issue was with a pedal, but I was using my pedal board through another amp and never had a problem.

So when he opened it up and finally started getting into it, he couldn't replicate the issue at the start. But he poked part of the back on one of the input jacks (where I run some of my pedals through on the back of the amp) and the signal died. It turns out you have to touch part of it just so for it to happen. He thinks a vibration now and then while playing could trigger it. Part was $3. He replaced it and it's been fine since.

DayWatcher77

Post by DayWatcher77 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:28 am

Hello JamesPaul. Thank you for your helpful response to my question. In trying to understand your suggestion more clearly; what amp am I to plug an instrument into after I connect the two amps? It probably should be obvious, but I just want to be sure. Thank you again and have a great day.