problem with reverb STUDIO PRO 110

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Stonyx

problem with reverb STUDIO PRO 110

Post by Stonyx » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:00 pm

Hi, I have a old guitar amp (PEAVEY STUDIO PRO 110) that I am very fond of because it is my first amp but reverb does not work. I am a newbie in repairing amps and I would like to know how to change the reverb tank, if it is worth any that is sold or if you have to respect certain parameters.
thanks for your help

JamesPaul

Re: problem with reverb STUDIO PRO 110

Post by JamesPaul » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:57 pm

Welome to the forum. I traded in my first amplifier, a Peavey Special 130, but I still have my first guitar.

Fortunately for me, and unfortunately for you, I have never really had any reverb issues other than dirty RCA jacks. Those were cured by unplugging the RCA jacks, spraying some Deoxit on them, and plugging/unplugging them a few times. I know springs in the tank will disconnect on occasion, and the send and receive OP amps can fail.

Here is a decent reverb (tank) primer. If you would please review it and see if it answers your questions. After that, try a search here in the Guitar Amplifiers forum, using your symptoms and terms you have from the primer. If no luck by then, post back with questions you still have and we will ensure they get resolved. A reverb guru may also see your topic and chime in, so check back at least daily.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech-art ... d-compared

That amplifier is definitely worth saving.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

dak

Post by dak » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:48 pm

The vast bulk of reverb problems are loose connections that do not warrant wholesale replacement unless you want to angle for a different kind of reverb (long/short/3-spring/2-spring). In that case, you need to check that you get the right kind of impedance for both send and receive, and also the right kind of mounting orientation: those are letter-coded into the reverb tank model number.

Here is a link: https://amprepairparts.com/reverb_numbering.htm but there are others.

Stonyx

Post by Stonyx » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:40 am

Thanks for your answers, but in case I want to replace the reverb tank, how should I proceed, is any tank suitable, since they all have the same connections?

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:23 pm

No, not all the same. The links DAK and JamesPaul sent should help.

Pull the tank out of the bag, if it has one. There may be a peavey stock number on it and if your are real lucky, the code numbers/letters that tell what type it is.

Be aware that if the old tank is not the problem, a new one won't change anything.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

dak

Post by dak » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:57 pm

Pappy B wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:23 pm
No, not all the same. The links DAK and JamesPaul sent should help.

Pull the tank out of the bag, if it has one. There may be a peavey stock number on it and if your are real lucky, the code numbers/letters that tell what type it is.
I haven't seen an Accutronics tank so far that did not have its type code printed on. Unless someone wiped it off (I cannot imagine why), it should still be there. My sample size is an admittedly puny 2 of my own (Solton and Peavey amps) and a few I looked at on the Internet.

The Peavey one has a lot printed on (Peavey part number and probably something else as well), but the reverb tank code is pretty unique with its alternating letters and numbers.

Stonyx

Post by Stonyx » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:53 pm

Thank you all very much, I was finally able to go to my second residence to go fix the reverb tank. It was the RCA connectors that were dirty (after 31 years...).
I used some WD40 and let's see if they hold up for another 31 years....
:wink:

dak

Post by dak » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:10 pm

Stonyx wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:53 pm
Thank you all very much, I was finally able to go to my second residence to go fix the reverb tank. It was the RCA connectors that were dirty (after 31 years...).
I used some WD40 and let's see if they hold up for another 31 years....
:wink:
Uh, WD40 is good for dislodging rust but not otherwise particularly conducive for improving contact. It's a light oil. I'd rather recommend using contact spray.