1979 Peavey Deuce VT / BW speakers questions

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Nifty

1979 Peavey Deuce VT / BW speakers questions

Post by Nifty » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:50 pm

I need some clarification. I've searched the site and seen a few threads but nothing specifically mentioned this. I recently bought a Deuce. SN traces back to 1979 production date.

On the back of my amp, there are two input jacks. One says main (8 ohms) the other says Aux (4 ohms). Using the amp as a standalone, which jack should be used? I assume the "main" one. But I noticed it's plugged into the Aux.

Also, would there be an issue if I run a pedal board through the high gain effects input on the front?

I used to understand all of this when I had one of these 40 years ago.

Thanks

Enzo

Re: 1979 Peavey Deuce VT / BW speakers questions

Post by Enzo » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:51 pm

You can't damage amps by running high gain FX into the front. All it does is distort.

The main output is 8 ohm tap, but the inner speakers are a 4 ohm combination. BUT THAT IS OK, it rarely affects an amp to be "off one notch" on impedance. However, the AUX jack is a 4 ohm tap, so if it makes you more comfortable plugging into that, go ahead. Whichever way sounds best to you is the way to go. They came from the factory with the inner speakers plugged into the main speaker jack.

Nifty

Re: 1979 Peavey Deuce VT / BW speakers questions

Post by Nifty » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:38 am

Thank you.

I assumed the previous owner may have used some external speakers. The "manual" for the VT wasn't the best written thing either.