Invective 120 low volume (lead-channel) and scratching noise

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
stegger

Invective 120 low volume (lead-channel) and scratching noise

Post by stegger » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:08 am

I have an Invective 120 amp, and I love it :D but when I use the lead-channel, its very low (clean-channel works perfectly). This is a beast of an amp, so I'm able to use it, but I have to set the volume almost at max to be able to hear it during rehearsal with my band. This can't be right ... It has been that way since I got it. Sometimes the volume also waivers a bit (It gets lower as I'm playing - around one hour into rehearsal).

And then theres the scratching noises when I turn the amplifier on. It scratches a lot, but then the scratching disapears (it doesn't affect the amp when I'm playing, but it sounds wrong, when I turn the amp on).

Can anybody help me with these issues (and sorry if this question have been asked/answered before)?

All the best!
Andreas

JamesPaul

Re: Invective 120 low volume (lead-channel) and scratching noise

Post by JamesPaul » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:57 pm

stegger wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:08 am
I have an Invective 120 amp, and I love it :D but when I use the lead-channel, its very low (clean-channel works perfectly). This is a beast of an amp, so I'm able to use it, but I have to set the volume almost at max to be able to hear it during rehearsal with my band. This can't be right ... It has been that way since I got it. Sometimes the volume also waivers a bit (It gets lower as I'm playing - around one hour into rehearsal).

And then theres the scratching noises when I turn the amplifier on. It scratches a lot, but then the scratching disapears (it doesn't affect the amp when I'm playing, but it sounds wrong, when I turn the amp on).

Can anybody help me with these issues (and sorry if this question have been asked/answered before)?

All the best!
Andreas
I am thinking a preamp tube used by the lead channel, but I do not know the tube order on the Invective. It likely is not V1 since the Clean channel is fine. Take your spare 12AX7/ECC83 and start swapping it in for V2 thru Vn and see if the lead channel works after a certain tube is swapped. If it does, leave your spare in there amd buy another.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.