Technician for guitar amplifiers in MTL?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Smoker14

Technician for guitar amplifiers in MTL?

Post by Smoker14 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:56 am

I need a technician to check out and repair a tube amp that won't turn on.

Do any of you have any recommendations for guitar technicians in Montreal?

Thanks!

Enzo

Re: Technician for guitar amplifiers in MTL?

Post by Enzo » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:08 am

I don't know anyone there, but any competent amp tech can handle this. "Dead" is generally the easiest problem to fix. Far easier than "Distorts sometimes". And tube amps are simpler than solid state, that is why you see guys who "only work on tube amps".

dak

Post by dak » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:27 am

Enzo wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:08 am
I don't know anyone there, but any competent amp tech can handle this. "Dead" is generally the easiest problem to fix. Far easier than "Distorts sometimes". And tube amps are simpler than solid state, that is why you see guys who "only work on tube amps".
Tube amps are mainly different: I don't see all that much more simplicity, particularly since most solid-state amps nowadays use opamps which hide the trickery of low-noise BJT input stages. And the high-voltage low-current circuitry of tube amps is less compatible with loudspeakers and human well-being.

Of course class D then is a different beast regarding servicing. But the Peavey stuff I've seen so far is class B in the power stage, possibly AB (the transition voltage gap is kept rather low).

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:14 pm

Tube amps are mainly different:
Different from what? Each other? I'd object. Different from solid state? Of course.

If I drew you the power stage of an amp with two (or four) pentodes, but no values, would you be able to say it was a Fender? A MArshall? And input stages, let me see, a triode, 100k plate load and 1.5k cathode resistor. SOund familiar? Change those to 220k and 2.2k. ANy real difference? (Other than sound) Circuits are circuits, and seen one, seen them all fits tube amps for me. Fender eyelet board versus Mesa crammed into a pc board, sure those look different, but the circuits? Straight out of RCA.