Trying to source Peavey Decade spares

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Petefrombookham

Trying to source Peavey Decade spares

Post by Petefrombookham » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:17 am

Hi there everyone,

I was watching the JHS show last night and they were talking about how Josh Homme and a bunch is other musicians use the Peavey Decade for their sound. Lo and behold, I’ve had one stored in my loft for over a decade (pun intended). Never knew it became such a cult classic.

Cosmetically it needs a few parts to be perfect but is completely functional. Would love some help with sourcing a blue knob and maybe even a new Peavey logo for it, if anyone has parts to sell? I checked the resources on this site and eBay but not much joy so far. I’m based in the UK too.

Hopefully hear from someone soon. Cheers!
Attachments
B2E54356-A5D9-479C-88A7-2ED3443B45A2.jpeg
B2E54356-A5D9-479C-88A7-2ED3443B45A2.jpeg (3.84 MiB) Viewed 2541 times

Enzo

Re: Trying to source Peavey Decade spares

Post by Enzo » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:49 am

I know I have the knobs, but from the USA to get one to you would be VERY expensive.

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:31 pm

watch for a cheap small Peavey amp in your area that has the parts you need. Sometimes a non-working amp can be had at a reasonable price.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

dak

Post by dak » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:14 pm

Petefrombookham wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:17 am
Hi there everyone,

I was watching the JHS show last night and they were talking about how Josh Homme and a bunch is other musicians use the Peavey Decade for their sound. Lo and behold, I’ve had one stored in my loft for over a decade (pun intended). Never knew it became such a cult classic.
I wouldn't overreact on such news. Lots of people make some old stuff do what, well, it was supposed to be used for. It is somewhat amusing to see the price chart on a reverb classified ad and read the comments. Upshot is that this went for $50 for most of its past, then in June 2021 (an interview or something?) started a hike peaking at about $500 in November. It's absurdly overrated in my book and that of most commenters.

At any rate, it's not just the knob you are missing but also part of the logo. If I were you, I'd just offer to sell it for $300 "it's a steal" as it is and see whether some sucker bites. In the meantime, you can wait for some other unremarkable small Peavey amp to sell in your area and loot it for button and logo in the hope of raising your selling price.

But you need to be aware that just because this amp is offered at this price, that does not mean anybody buys it. And while it is possible that someone with too much money read some article and in the spur of a moment decided to pay a ridiculous amount instead of bothering to look around, I doubt they will actually find it overly useful and will likely push it back into the market at a significant loss.

I wouldn't bank on rising or stable prices.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:59 pm

Resale value is also dropping due to a couple of companies building pedals which mimic the Decade's tones. There is a Topic here.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=52986
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

dak

Post by dak » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:27 pm

Oh good grief. As if there were a king's road to underpowered distorting practice amps. It's probably the speaker's fault anyway to turn this into a bearable sound.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:17 pm

Just the latest "tone chase" for some out there. It is cool that the target is a 40 year old Peavey practice amp.

As for the Decade itself, I still have mine that I got used in 1986. I have not used it a lot since mid-2000's, but it was great when we had a third floor rehearsal space, in a building with no elevator.

When prices were going crazy, I never once thought about selling mine.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

dak

Post by dak » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:00 am

JamesPaul wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:17 pm
As for the Decade itself, I still have mine that I got used in 1986. I have not used it a lot since mid-2000's, but it was great when we had a third floor rehearsal space, in a building with no elevator.

When prices were going crazy, I never once thought about selling mine.
Well, when the fad is over, the Decades will not be useful as a studio tone mangler but they still work as a cheap (eventually again) practice amp. Except that the people buying such nonsense for $500 will not bother with the effort of selling it for $30 but will just trash it.

So "not used it a lot since mid-2000s" still seems like a better long-term perspective for the amp (even if not your personal finances) than selling it for stupid money.

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:22 am

I've wanted a Decade for awhile now. Not because of how it sounds but just because it's an early Peavey practice amp.

I recall seeing them listed cheaper than the shipping cost and just could justify paying more for shipping. recently when I looked on Reverb.com and saw one listed for $1,000.00 (I think it has come back down to around 800) I crossed the Decade off of my search list.

I would still buy one locally but it would have to be very cheap.

I like the idea that Petefrombookham wants to return his to an original condition. I would too.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:09 pm

Keep it on your list if you really want one. When this Josh Homme tone quest settles down, Decade prices will return to reasonable.

Probably half of my amps and cabs still have the complete logo badge. Some badges are broken, some have fallen off. I try to keep the dust off my amps/cabs, keep them maintained, and I do not abuse them. But original cosmetic condition? No, I could care less. This is a positive for those seeking Peavey badges. There should be an extra 15 or so floating around out there, which I have not purchased to put on my stuff.

However, knobs are a must!
James Paul's Peaveys