Peavey Bravo 112

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Boyan1984

Peavey Bravo 112

Post by Boyan1984 » Mon May 23, 2022 1:27 am

Hi all,
first post here, nice to meet you all and to finally be part of the Peavey cult :P
I've got the Peavey Bravo three weeks ago in pristine condition, everything working etc. it has brutal gain for chugga chugga stuff, but when I play tremolo picking (black metal) it sounds like it doesn't have much gain and like it's almost too clean - I mean it sounds too much as if the guitar is acoustic with less gain. I don't know if I can describe with words what I mean...For example - I tremolo pick chords and individual strings (think of norwegian black metal) but instead of sounding muddy it sounds too clean, like if there's too much highs and mids and it's not the case.
Myabe it's the speaker or the box? Should I get an extension cab or put a different speaker? I'm the third owner of the amp and it came with chinese PM branded tubes and one Ruby in the preamp. Tubes seem to work ok, can't see any fault. Maybe it;s the speaker or this is simply the character of the amp?

tonepoet

Re: Peavey Bravo 112

Post by tonepoet » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:41 pm

Hi Boyan1984 and welcome. I'm not familiar with the Norwegian "Black Metal" guitar sound you refer to but Bravo 112's are my favorite amps. New tubes wouldn't hurt. My favorite EL84s in that amp are by JJ. Great sounding EL84s. The three 12AX7 tubes are a matter of preference, but I like Svetlana and the Sovtek 12AX7LPS. However, with the tragedy going on over in Ukraine, Russian 12AX7s are either out of stock or $50 a piece. JJs are from Slovakia so it may be easier to find JJ 12AX7s.

The stock speakers were made by Eminence, back in the day. What I like in a Bravo are the Eminence Texas Heat and Eminence Swamp Thang. One of each sound great with a Bravo.

Have fun with that Bravo

-tonepoet
Classic 30, Bravo 112, Bandit 112 redline, Vypyr 15, T-27, Patriot, Patriot w/ trem, Patriot Bass, Unity Series Bass, Firenza, Firenza JX, Firenza AX, Predator Plus (Korean), Predator Plus HB (Korean), T-60, Reactor

Boyan1984

Re: Peavey Bravo 112

Post by Boyan1984 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:03 am

Thanx for the heads up, but I sold it, it wasn't the sound I needed. Got an ENGL Fireball 25 instead.