Valveking Valves

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
bigmac6455

Valveking Valves

Post by bigmac6455 » Sat May 14, 2022 2:31 am

Hi, i have purchased an original valveking 112 and found that the valves are not standard.
It has
2 x Electro harmonix 6L6EH Power - Russian
2 x JJ ECC83S Pre - Russian
1 X Unnamed and very short but Russian made 12AX7B Phase
Are these a good combination? It sounds ok and not too muddy gain with the best clean channel ive heard in a long time.
From what i could find on this combo it seems pretty unique. The 6L6EH (GCs appearing to be the popular choice) is hard to find info on so im posting this to find out a bit more than i know. The only valve amp ive ever had was a spider valve 212.... Enough said.....
Any info would be appreciated thanks in Advance.
Greg

Enzo

Re: Valveking Valves

Post by Enzo » Sat May 14, 2022 3:32 am

Don't fret over it, you said yourself it sounded OK, that is the only test that matters.

6L6EH is not a tube type. The EH stands for Electro Harmonix, they are basically Sovtek tubes. 6L6GC is a actual tube type. In fact your 6L6EH are likely 6L6GC under the skin. Whatever specs there be would be on the ElectroHarmonix web site or at New Sensor, the home of all the Sovtek brands.

Buying a tube amp with other than original tubes is like buying a guitar with other than original strings. People replace tubes all the time, just as they replace strings on guitars.

bigmac6455

Post by bigmac6455 » Sat May 14, 2022 8:08 pm

Thanks , appreciate the prompt reply. It works well and its in quite good condition for its age. Dont see many of them here in Australia. Paid 300au for it so its a good deal. Still learning about valve amp characteristics so any advice is appreciated. See some positive and negative comments on these. There may be better peaveys you can buy off the shelf but these have potential with a few tweaks i gather so maybe just try a couple of speaker swaps to satisfy my curiosity.
And with the state of valve availability at the moment im glad mine are ok. Cheers

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Sun May 15, 2022 9:00 am

I would suggest that you analyze and explore it for what it is, not what you want it to be. Don't do any tweaking until your sure of where you want to go with it. I find this also works well for speakers, guitars and beer.

I like to tweak things and have to fight the erge to change things that don't don't need changing.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Sun May 15, 2022 3:11 pm

And you will find guys pushing their pet lineup of preamp tubes, telling us it HAS to be a JJ in V2 and a EH in V4 or whatever. Well the preamp tubes can sound different, but they sound different like strings sound different. Imagine your guitar with D'Addarios, then imagine it with Fender strings, or Ernie Ball strings. Subtle differences. Now imagine you just HAVE to have an Ernie Ball G string, but the heavier strings all D'Addario, and the top two Fender. Just HAVE to.

It;s like that.

But no matter what tubes you stuff into it, your amp will always sound like a Valve King.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sun May 15, 2022 3:45 pm

bigmac6455 wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:08 pm

Still learning about valve amp characteristics so any advice is appreciated. See some positive and negative comments on these. There may be better peaveys you can buy off the shelf but these have potential with a few tweaks i gather so maybe just try a couple of speaker swaps to satisfy my curiosity.
Not general valve amp information, but there is an old ValveKing Tips Tricks and Mods topic here. It may have some easy things you can try to experiment with your tones.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2395&sid=361965483 ... 8320df2bfc
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.