Peavey Teal lineup

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
marxhalvick

Peavey Teal lineup

Post by marxhalvick » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:47 am

Hi Peavey fans !
I'm looking for a new practice amp and I wanted to know if anyone has a Peavey 89-95 catalog.
I learned to play on a teal peavey and i always wished I had a Bandit 112.

I recently could find a Special 112, which is a more powerfull Bandit, but it is way too loud for my appartment, and I tried the Rage 158 and it sound very thin, thanks to the small 8" driver.

Anyways, I was trying to list the "teal" lineup to find the best compromise between the two, i'm guessing a low power 12" or a 10" that shares the Bandit Preamp.

Here is what I have for now on :

Rage 158
Blazer
audition 110
bravo
Envoy 110
Backstage plus
kb-60
backstage chorus
studio pro 110
Studio Pro 112
express 112
Backstage 110
bandit 112
studio chorus
Special 112
Supreme
stereo chorus
Revolution

Am I missing some models ? Please tell ! And I would like to know your recommendations too :D

Pappy B

Re: Peavey Teal lineup

Post by Pappy B » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:46 pm

The Backstage Plus was made before the Teal Stripe series.

If you like the Teal Stripe series amps consider the Silver Stripe Transtube Series. I've always considered the Teal Stripes an early Transtube with out the label applied. Both great series in my opinion.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:33 pm

I have the Backstage Plus. I just recently bought it. Back in the 80s I had one as my first amp. I sold it when I got the teal stripe Stereo Chorus 212. I got it again because I always liked it. It is a great practice amp. 35W 10” speaker. Excellent as a practice amp. You can get very good tones from it.
For what you describe I would consider it although it is before the teal stripe series.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:59 pm

My Backstage Plus started as a chassis rescue. Recapped it and cleaned everything, added a short 3 spring reverb tank I had on hand and made a cabinet for it (as a head). Then I built a speaker cab for a 12" speaker. Used different old speakers I have but when I put the Sheffield 1230 in it I was surprised how much I like that set up. One of my favorite small amps.

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:03 am

I was playing my Backstage Plus yesterday and it did a bit of motor boating…thinking I should recap it. I did add a speaker jack to it last week. It is pretty cool to use this amp with different cabinets. It is really a nice sounding little solid state amp.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Sjt_711

Post by Sjt_711 » Wed May 11, 2022 10:34 am

The Studio Pro 112 silver stripe TransTube is a bitching amp. Just completely recapped mine and replaced the 6 transistors in the drive section. It's like a brand new amp again. Amazing clean channel

dak

Post by dak » Thu May 12, 2022 5:51 am

Pappy B wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:59 pm
My Backstage Plus started as a chassis rescue. Recapped it and cleaned everything, added a short 3 spring reverb tank I had on hand and made a cabinet for it (as a head). Then I built a speaker cab for a 12" speaker. Used different old speakers I have but when I put the Sheffield 1230 in it I was surprised how much I like that set up. One of my favorite small amps.
It's just the question how much it is a "Peavey Teal Backstage Plus" now and how much a "Pappy B". Make no mistake: I also have units I am rather fond of but where it would make little sense to sell them under the original label nor expect lookalikes to sound the same because I had used them more as a starting point than a product.

Of course, a solid starting point with accessible schematics and sane design and serviceable execution is not to be sneezed at, either.

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Thu May 12, 2022 9:00 am

I have to admit My Backstage Plus isn't a "Teal Stripe" but the previous mention of a Backstage Plus sparked my response.

I like the personalized setup I have on this amp but would not hesitate to put it back in original configuration if an original cabinet and speaker came my way.