ValveKing Blowing Fuses

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
johnny be good

Re: ValveKing Blowing Fuses

Post by johnny be good » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:02 pm

Thanks dak I ordered diodes so we will see what happens on my learning project next week when they come in.

johnny be good

Post by johnny be good » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:36 pm

"YES" :D Well its working removed the four diodes two of them tested bad so I replaced all four and yes it works. Thanks all that have helped and I learned a lot. I bought it for parts because I already have a VK Head and a VK 212 and the parts one had all new Sovtek tubes in it so now I have three VK100"s.
I am not a professional musician I am a retired contractor remodeling a hall that I own as a retirement project hoping to give young bands a place to play without getting thrown out of garages for noise so these amps will come in handy.
Again Thanks All could not have done it without you

dak

Post by dak » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:01 pm

Huh, makes me wonder what caused the first diode to blow. Inrush current? Let's hope there won't be a repeat. Might make sense to mount the diodes with a bit of air below them in case it's really a matter of high current (and voltage low enough that the diodes take enough of a share of a power in spite of only losing 0.35V on average (0.7V with a 50% duty cycle). Enzo said that this was for heating, so it might be low-voltage/high-current after all. When the diodes are too close to the PCB, heat may have more of a problem dissipating.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:09 pm

It isn't necessarily a systematic problem. Random component failures are common. There may not have been a specific electrical instance that caused the failure. It is comforting to think in terms of I-did-this-caused-that. But we usually never know. Oh I have my tales of poking a meter lead on a power chip and slipping and SNAP I blew up the chip. But most times you never know. You generally have a much larger static charge on your body than you realize. So can your gear. You might plug a speaker cable into an amp and discharge several thousand volts into the circuit and never know it. It weakens something, and four months later, a part fails. No way we associate that static discharge we never felt with a failure months later. But that is exactly the sort of thing that happens.

johnny be good

Post by johnny be good » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:06 pm

Bought it non working so I don't know any symptoms. But I will give it a workout and see how it holds up under a load. Just happy it works for now