Ultimate Peavey Classic?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
JamesPaul

Ultimate Peavey Classic?

Post by JamesPaul » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:53 am

Is anyone up for some fun?

Let us say you own a C20, C30 & C50. You may also have any Classic cabinets you want.

If you could only keep one amplifier, which would you choose and why?
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

Lester H

Re: Ultimate Peavey Classic?

Post by Lester H » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:23 am

JamesPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:53 am
Is anyone up for some fun?

Let us say you own a C20, C30 & C50. You may also have any Classic cabinets you want.

If you could only keep one amplifier, which would you choose and why?
If I could only keep one?

I would keep the Classic 50 212. It's just one of those amps that's basically indestructible and easily capable of 20-30 + years of low maintenance reliability. All while being a great sounding amp. The 212 version in my opinion is just the all-around perfect amp capable of being a good sounding, low volume home amp but with plenty enough power and flexibility to be used on any type of gig, indoors or out, regardless the genre. The weight is the only downside. Bottom line for me is I could sleep pretty easy at night knowing that was my "only amp" for everything.

I have a Classic 30 and while it shares most of the points I described about the 50 I question its reliability a little more than the 50. The design is a little more open to issues in my opinion, especially considering where the tubes mount in conjunction with the speaker particularly at gig volumes. That little combo takes a beating when it's turned up. Unlike the 50 that has a cooling fan, I don't know that any tube amp I have seems to get as hot as my 30. My mind tells me that kind of heat is going to present a problem with something at some point. I'm just not completely sold I would rest as easy knowing the 30 was my only amp.

The C20 is a fun little amp but if I can only own one amp its attributes end there for me. Just not enough power and flexibility to be my "one and only".