Barn Find VTM 120

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
JohnX

Barn Find VTM 120

Post by JohnX » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:22 pm

Well, not exactly a barn find but close.

The story....

I have owned a VTM 120 i picked up in pawn shop around 1996. My first tube amp and the price was $300. It sat idle for a month or so while I searched for a cabinet. Not knowing any better, I found an Acoustic bass cab(6x10) for $150. 4 ohms and the VTM has that output tap so off we go. LOUD and punchy. Sweet Jesus ! Low end Heaven.

This time last year I sold the cab to make room/downsize. When I demo-ed the cab for buyer I let it rip on the VTM. 2 weeks later I have sellers remorse. The search was on for another 6x10 bass cab. This month I found one that the seller was downsizing his gear stash( sound familiar). When I picked it up we started chatting about all kinds of gear and I mentioned the VTM 120. He says " I have one of those, not operable, that someone gave me. You can have for free.". What ? Free ? Ok. So he goes on the tell me this thing has sat for years in guys shop, on a shelf undisturbed. The shop guy gave it to him and he, in turn, left it a garage to sit for a few years.

So I pick it up yesterday and its covered in dust, stains. But its complete. Even the Response Mod plate is screwed on over the DIP switches. Ive never seen one of those. I get it home and plug it in. Power light but no stand by light. Gotta be a fuse. Pull the chassis and gently remove power tubes. It has Peavey Super 6 Made in USA. Hmm. So I flip it over and use a meter to test fuses. First 2 are good, and my heart is starting to sink. I was exited to think that it might be just a fuse and now it may be something else. Next fuse is bad! I'm getting excited again. I start digging around looking for a slo-blo fuse. Not happening but did find a lone fuse in the stash of electrical parts. 5 amp quick blow but should do for a test. Tubes still out, plug it in and VIOLA, stand by light is on. As it was getting late I pulled the plug and went to bed.

This morning I dragged a 2x12 cabinet and guitar over to kitchen table/workbench. Plug everything in and set the pre and gain knob to zero. All others at 12 O'clock. Hit an open E chord and reached for the volume and eased it up to 3. Getting a little something and then eased the pre knob into the mix. We Have lift off! She's a runner! I play for a few minutes and the dust is starting to burn. Time to shut it down, let it cool and start a quick clean up.

Clean up revealed the chassis has obvious signs of heat where the power cord enters the chassis. Other than that it just has the faded color of something left to sit for ages. The output tubes has some minor cracks around the plastic bases. I then played for 30 mins with no issues. Time for a burn -in test. Guitar knob to zero, amp volume to 6 and let it hum for 30 mins with no issues. She's getting warm but not stupid hot. Play for 15 and then another hum burn for 30 mins. Agian palyed for while feeling for hot spots or blistering tubes. No issues other than the pre knob is scratchy thru most of the sweep and post knob is scratchy from 0-2. Usual stuff.

So that where it sits. A running amp that no one bothered to put a fuse in. I believe what happened was someone left the amp on for an E-X-T-E-N-D-E-D amount for time. Like 2-3 days.

woodshed

Re: Barn Find VTM 120

Post by woodshed » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:21 pm

Good for you. That's a killer amp you've got there. I've had both the 120 & 60 watt heads, years ago. Huge & a bit heavy amp heads but truly unique & very versatile. Congrats.

dak

Re: Barn Find VTM 120

Post by dak » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:35 pm

JohnX wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:22 pm
Clean up revealed the chassis has obvious signs of heat where the power cord enters the chassis.
That's actually a place where no heat should really be: the power cord has high voltage and thus moderate current, and the power cord should be dimensioned to easily handle this current without getting hot (the fuses are dimensioned to blow before the cord would get hot). That can point to the copper wires being damaged/frayed at that point, possibly by getting bent/yanked too hard.

Might be worth replacing, just to be on the safe side, particularly if the cord has a soft or otherwise weird spot there. If it starts arcing, apart from the obvious danger for the cord and the player, it could also cause damage with the speakers and the tubes.

"Signs of heat" could also merely mean enough voltage to attract more and dirtier dust than elsewhere in which case it will tend to be more spread out (and harmless). That's the kind of ugly dirt you'll find in TV sets galore.