Pre-Amp Tubes for Classic 50 212 Combo (older generation)

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Jazzguitar67

Pre-Amp Tubes for Classic 50 212 Combo (older generation)

Post by Jazzguitar67 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:58 am

Hello,

I recently acquired an older Classic 50 212 Combo (from the 90's or early 2000's, I believe). The tubes were tired.

I ordered replacements. I got a set of JJ Electronics for the Power Section.

I told a guy at a reputable on-line tube retailer that I wanted lots of clean headroom on the clean channel and creamy overdrive on the drive channel. He suggested a ECC83 Mullard Re-Issue, A CV4004 Mullard re-issue and a Sovtek 12AX7WB for the pre-amp section.

The thing is, I don't know how to identify V1, V2 and driver on this amp and have lost my notes as to which tube is best-suited to which socket based on how I want the amp to sound.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

JamesPaul

Re: Pre-Amp Tubes for Classic 50 212 Combo (older generation)

Post by JamesPaul » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:32 pm

I am remembering (sold my C50 212) that it is listed on the chassis or the covers you remove. If not, V1 is the tube closest to the input jack and V3 is the tube closest to the power tubes. V2 is in between.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:21 pm

You know, there are only a few combinations of the three tubes, so why not spend a little time trying each tube in each socket. Find the way you like best.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:11 pm

Duh, I missed the part about losing your notes on which tube is best suited for which socket.

I am confident you could call a reputable online tube dealer back, tell him you lost your notes and get the information again.

But as Enzo stated there are a small number of options if you try them out. Three factorial to be exact.

3! = 3 * 2 * 1 = 6
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.