Peavey Valve King 212 interference issue or tube cracking sound ?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
theoxarhs

Peavey Valve King 212 interference issue or tube cracking sound ?

Post by theoxarhs » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:53 am

Hello forum,

I own a valve king 212 which hasn't been used much.

In the past I don't remember hearing any kind of noise when I was playing.

Now it seems that there's a noise even without any cable connected at the amplifier.

Hear for yourselves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyrEABEuvuw
Pay attention to
0:07
0:08
0:09
0:14
0:17
0:21
0:24

Do you think I should change all the tubes, or only the preamp ones? Could it be an interference from a neighbour's source?

If a change of tubes is needed, is the amplified auto-biased? What kind of tubes shall I get, the same like the stock ones or other?

PS I've put the thing on a charged UPS and shut completely down all electricity, removed the UPS from wall socket and still the sound is there.

Thanks!

Cheers!

GTS

Re: Peavey Valve King 212 interference issue or tube cracking sound ?

Post by GTS » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:43 am

For me it sounds like a digital signal.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:51 pm

Sounds environmental to me. Like nearby cell phone, or digital something or other in a nearby room. I heard a funny pulsing noise in my stereo setup at home once, finally noticed in the corner of my eye, the blinking display on my CD player exactly matched the pulsing noise pattern. I once had an amp in my shop on the bench, and about every 40 seconds it made a little extra humming noise for a couple seconds. I struggled to find the source for a couple hours. In frustration, I stepped out on my front porch for air, leaving the door open. I could still hear the amp, but I noticed down at the end of the block, a traffic signal. And about every 40 seconds, the yellow light came on for one direction...exactly at the time of the noise. A noisy triac in the signal for one of the yellows was noisy and put it on the power lines or radiated it up the block.

Breakinger

Post by Breakinger » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:48 am

That's interesting. Never had the problem like that with ValveKing