problem with 6505+ head

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
svt4cobra6

problem with 6505+ head

Post by svt4cobra6 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:33 pm

Just wondering if you might have any ideas? This amp is about 4 years old and works but the green light on the rhythm channel cuts out and you can hear a crackling noise through the amp when this happens, so I really do not want to use it for gigs. The green channel light will come back on just on its own (intermittent problem but it does it pretty often). This happens while leaving the amp on the green channel. I swapped out the preamp tubes and it still does it, also tried different speaker loads changing the output transformer setting, 8, 16 ohms as well as the speakers to match the impedance and still acts the same. I am guessing it might be a bad solder joint somewhere in the preamp section of the rhythm channel (or green channel) or maybe a failing component, but not sure. It also does this without a foot switch connected so the foot switch is not the problem. The red channel works fine, so guessing there is nothing wrong with the power amp section or preamp section on the red channel. Most of the time I use the amp on the green, rhythm channel so the crackling is a problem for me!

Enzo

Re: problem with 6505+ head

Post by Enzo » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:10 pm

Are you reporting that the channels works OK except for the light blinking off? The amp continues to play when the light goes off? Only problem is when the light blinks on or off it makes a noise?

In that case, resolder the LED.

svt4cobra6

Post by svt4cobra6 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:35 pm

Hi thanks for the response. I hear a slight crackling noise the same time that the LED blinks but the channel does stay active. I will take the board out and re-solder the LED as suggested. Looks like it is a bit of work, need to get it out but doable. I have two other 6505+ heads, one I bought about 6 years ago, the other maybe 9 years ago so do have backups. My first amp was a 50 watt tube Peavey classic amp I bought new way back in the 1980s.

svt4cobra6

Post by svt4cobra6 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:38 pm

Was able to fix the amp, two minor issues, but did have to remove the large board. We were careful to discharge capacitors before handling. Looks like it is a well thought out design as far as how the hardware is configured and the connector setup between the boards and components.