Blue mods on newer Peavey Classic 30s?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
ludodivo

Blue mods on newer Peavey Classic 30s?

Post by ludodivo » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:17 am

I'm looking to do some mods on my classic 30 and came across the popular blue mods online that people seem to like. I've heard good things about these mods so I thought I would give them a shot. The only problem is that the newer amps have a different circuit board than the older ones and I can't seem to find anything online about people modding the new ones. My classic 30 is probably about 4-5 years old so I think it was one of the first classic 30's to be made with the flat circuit board. From what I could gather, Peavey started making these amps with flat circuit boards in 2012. I want to try to at least do the tone cap mods but I can't figure out where the bass and mid range caps are. On the older, folded circuit boards, I know the Bass cap is C18 and the mid range is C19 but it's a different layout on the new boards. Has anyone found any luck modding with the new circuit boards?

Enzo

Re: Blue mods on newer Peavey Classic 30s?

Post by Enzo » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:04 pm

Get yourself the schematic for the new version.

GreatDaneRock

Re: Blue mods on newer Peavey Classic 30s?

Post by GreatDaneRock » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:06 am

I just took ownership of an excellent Classic 30 built in 2014, made in America in a very special color combination, bronco white tolex, all black appointments.

I think it has the flat board too; I tried removing the chassis but apparently, it has some sort of liner that glues it to the cab and I didn't feel like prying it since it's mint and I don't want to risk having any rattling noises.

Why do you feel the need to mod it? Is an excellent amp! Given, I don't use amp distortion, I use it as a clean pedal platform as I have amazing dirt from my pedalboard.

But from my fiddling with the controls, the tone stack is very responsive. Again what is it lacking in your opinion? I'm super curious to know why these mods are needed. If anything would be modded, it's probably a little tube rolling and a new speaker you may favor.
"Life has got be lived, that’s all there is to it. – Eleanor Roosevelt"
"Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened. – Dr. Seuss"